So, at the grocery store today...

Discussion of general Halloween topics
ScarecrowJack
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: So, at the grocery store today...

Post by ScarecrowJack » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:50 pm

I don't get a lot of tot, but I get some. My house is up on a hill, on a wooded lot so it's a little hard to see and I don't have really close neighbors so I don't think many kids think to cut across the street I'm on. One year I dressed up as a werewolf to pass out candy and was sitting on the top of my steps watching the kids, but none came up the steps at first. Then one saw me move and shouted "Hey, that's a person!" Then I was descended upon, or ascended upon as the case may be, by tot.
We're the farmer's scarecrows
We scare away the birds,
We keep the farmer's corn safe
Without any words.
But when Halloween comes
We jump out of the ground
And we scare the boys and girls
When they come walking 'round.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 am

It is depressing to think about it, but the "Trick or Treat" tradition seems to be falling out of favor with a lot of communities. Those that still have ToT are regulating it six ways to sunday and imposing 3 and in some cases 2 hour time limits. My nephew can't take his kids ToT ing in his sub division because it's illegal, so he comes over to my house and hangs out while the oldest sibling takes her two younger siblings ToT ing, and they start at my house. It's nice that they come over and join me for a little Halloween party, but I some times wonder if there will be Trick or Treat 20, 10, or even 5 years from now.

Mike

Demonic Duck
Halloween Master

Post by Demonic Duck » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:00 am

Mike that is terrible. I would probably move. Thankfully there are no communities like that by me(that I know of).

johnsoneliza52
Haunt Master

Post by johnsoneliza52 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:09 am

Here, either, that I know of. No fuN!

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

Thats a shame Mike!!

I think alot of kids here do Trick or Trunking at churches because of all the weird-o's, and people are just too afraid to send there kids out. We didn't have much crime around here until lately, I'm guessing because we are getting over populated just a guess tho...

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:57 pm

So far, my town is very Halloween friendly. The only things is that we do have a very strictly enforced time limit on ToT. 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm. ToT is usualy over before it even gets dark, mainly due to the fact that they hold over Daylight Savings Time through Halloween.

But for the most part I'm very happy in my town and in my old house. My nephew, on the other hand, is trying to sell his armpit New Lenox town home so he can get away from the Association from hell.

Mike

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:28 pm

Armpit? I think more like rotting intestines in a corpse.
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Morticia
Haunt Master

Post by Morticia » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:10 pm

After 10 years in this house the word has spread. Although I am always way too busy to attempt counting. They usually show up in large groups. There are a few other houses that do a little in the neighborhood, I have just seen them in passing because I'm too busy on that night to go looking around at anyone else, but we get a pretty good haul. They were lined up down to the sidewalk last year.
Be afraid....be very afraid!

Demonic Duck
Halloween Master

Post by Demonic Duck » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:49 pm

Morticia I'm so JEALOUS I wish we could get Toters like that :(

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:19 am

I don't think TOT is anywhere close to dying out around here, and it is certainly not regulated. I do think, though, that there is more of a tendency to drive one's kids to the highly decorated neighborhoods. Consequently, on that night, there can be lots of fairly quiet streets, but then there are several that are insanely active.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:10 pm

Rising Dead Man, I refere to New Lenox, Ill as an "arm pit," because what I truely feel about that town would not be allowed on this family friendly web site. Suffice it to say, that in actuality, if the state of Illinois ever needed a supository, New Lenox would be the spot where it would be inserted. As you can surmise, I HATED living in New Lenox. 9 years of my life in all that boredom. I wouldn't ever even visit there except that I do have loved ones who still live there. They actually like it there. Well there's no accounting for taste.

Murf, I think ToT is still quite a ways from totaly dieing off. I honestly do believe, that it will last at the most, only about 20 more years, though, unless the condition of the world we live in changes for the better. Fear mongering in the media is the main culprit, but the cold hard reality is, there are a lot of predators out there who use Halloween ToT to troll for victims.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:25 am

Well, I hope you're wrong, but who knows? I think the days of letting the kids go out alone are probably gone forever. In my case, that is no great loss, as my mother never let me TOT by myself or even in a group of other kids. She was always around, watching me from the sidewalk. As a mom myself, I have always loved participating in the ritual with my kids, although those days may be over for me now. My youngest is 15. I have no idea how she will choose to celebrate the holiday this year.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:11 am

Murfreesboro wrote:although those days may be over for me now.
theres always grand kids!
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:30 am

When I was in 7th grade, and about 13 years old, that was when I decided I was 'too old' for ToT. I regretted that decision as all my friends and even some older kids ToT ed all through high school.

My youngest niece had very limited boundries that she had to observ when she was playing alone. It wasn't until she was about 11 or 12 before she was allowed to ride her bike beyond the very block on which she lived. My nephew allways accompanies his kids ToTing when they come to my town. That reminds me, when he finaly sells that New Lenox nightmare and moves to another neighborhood, he will probably want to take the kids ToTing there and will stop coming over to my place for Halloween. I will miss that, but I still love handing out the ToT candy.

Mike

ImAWalkingCorpse
Crypt Keeper

Post by ImAWalkingCorpse » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:36 pm

I still get quite a few every year. They seem to hate Michael Myers, scares them to death.