What are you planning to be this Halloween??

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: What are you planning to be this Halloween??

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Spookymufu wrote:I have never seen this, but I'm not a musicals type, I thought Sweeny Todd stunk, is this better then that?
I'm skimming this thread and am late to this conversation, but there is a world of difference between Sweeney Todd on stage and the (IMO) very disappointing movie Tim Burton made of it. Check out the DVD of the stage production with Angela Lansbury & George Hearn sometime (made around 1982 or '83, I think). It's brilliant and very, very funny, as well as being ravishing at moments, and spine-tingling at others. It's a sin that the movie dropped the chorus. One of the best things in theater, ever!

I haven't decided how I'm going to dress for Halloween. My daughter (13) is at a tricky stage. Last year she said she wouldn't TOT, but did so at the last minute. We just threw on some black robes & capes from the closet and went for it. This year, so far, she seems to be totally into Halloween, but I haven't pushed her about a costume. She may just be planning to decorate and make party-themed food.

hallowgal
Ghost

Post by hallowgal » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:34 pm

This year, I will be a witch.That's always fun!

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm with you completely, Murfreesboro! When the movie didn't open with them singing "Attend the tale of Sweeney Todd!", I knew I was in for a big, long, disappointment. :x

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:43 am

Glad you agree, Mac! I think anyone who knows the stage play would agree, though. The only people I know who liked the movie were Johnny Depp fans who had never seen the play.

I got a pleasant surprise this morning. Daughter announced she is planning her Halloween costume. She wants to be Endora from Bewitched (she has recently discovered the series on the internet, has fallen in love with Endora). I am excited. Game on!

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:50 am

I dont think I could "get into" ANY musical no matter how "good" people think it is, I'm just not much of a fan of that type of show/movie. I'm not sure if nightmare before Christmas qualifies tho but I do like that one.

but, I tend to not like the popular movies and like the ones most dont....
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:52 am

Nightmare Before Christmas is good. I've gotten a little tired of Tim Burton's weirdness, but I still enjoy that one.

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:08 am

Musicals can be a bit odd at first, because it somewhat breaks up the reality to have people suddenly start singing about what they're doing. Sometimes, like in The Phantom of the Opera, it seems to fit more naturally with the plot and setting. Sometimes, like in Les Misérables, you think it would never work, but somehow it does. I can understand how some people might never be able to get into it, but when the songs are good, and meaningful to the storyline, and especially when the singers are particularly brilliant, musicals can be a really enjoyable bit of entertainment. When the singers are horrible, however (see The Phantom of the Opera movie... or rather, DON'T see it :x ), it completely destroys it.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:11 am

two words:
Cop Rock................. :|
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:13 am

I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound good. :shock:

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:14 am

MacPhantom wrote:I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound good. :shock:
you tube it.......

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:17 am

MacPhantom wrote:Musicals can be a bit odd at first, because it somewhat breaks up the reality to have people suddenly start singing about what they're doing. Sometimes, like in The Phantom of the Opera, it seems to fit more naturally with the plot and setting. Sometimes, like in Les Misérables, you think it would never work, but somehow it does. I can understand how some people might never be able to get into it, but when the songs are good, and meaningful to the storyline, and especially when the singers are particularly brilliant, musicals can be a really enjoyable bit of entertainment. When the singers are horrible, however (see The Phantom of the Opera movie... or rather, DON'T see it :x ), it completely destroys it.
Seconding this! (And I agree about the singing in POTO movie.)

Musicals are probably my first love in the world of entertainment. I have been passionate about them almost my whole life, since maybe the age of 11. But there is something about them that makes them mostly intractable to filming. There are a few exceptions (I think the film version of Cabaret is brilliant, for example), but on the whole, I think they are just too inherently theatrical to do well on film. They need the unreality of the theater to live, I think. When they are well done, they are magic on stage, but rarely so on film.

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:22 am

Spookymufu wrote:
MacPhantom wrote:I don't know what that is, but it doesn't sound good. :shock:
you tube it.......
I'm afraid to.
Murfreesboro wrote:Seconding this! (And I agree about the singing in POFO movie.)

Musicals are probably my first love in the world of entertainment. I have been passionate about them almost my whole life, since maybe the age of 11. But there is something about them that makes them mostly intractable to filming. There are a few exceptions (I think the film version of Cabaret is brilliant, for example), but on the whole, I think they are just too inherently theatrical to do well on film. They need the unreality of the theater to live, I think. When they are well done, they are magic on stage, but rarely so on film.
One of the best things about theater is that you can go see the same show over and over, and every time it's different. Even if you see the exact same cast, there are little things that change every time, and, again, when the voices are good, the energy just fills the room. With a movie, it's always the same, and feels flat and two dimensional by comparison. I've been into musicals since my mother took my brothers and I to see POTO on Broadway when I was fourteen. But I'm kinda picky... I only like the dark ones, where a bunch of people die by the end. :lol:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:29 am

MacPhantom wrote: I've been into musicals since my mother took my brothers and I to see POTO on Broadway when I was fourteen. But I'm kinda picky... I only like the dark ones, where a bunch of people die by the end. :lol:

:lol:

I think you have hit what thrills me the most about theater. The first time I saw a professional play (it was a revival of The Student Prince out in Los Angeles when I was 11), I was just blown away by the energy in the room. It felt to me as if there were some kind of electrical circuit between the actors and the audience. We seemed to be feeding off each other, receiving the energy and sending it back. You can't experience that in a film, no matter how brilliant the film is.

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Rising Dead Man » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:30 pm

I just bought this for Ed Gein.

I don't think it will be allowed at school, but after I leave the doors im carrying this around.
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:46 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:I think you have hit what thrills me the most about theater. The first time I saw a professional play (it was a revival of The Student Prince out in Los Angeles when I was 11), I was just blown away by the energy in the room. It felt to me as if there were some kind of electrical circuit between the actors and the audience. We seemed to be feeding off each other, receiving the energy and sending it back. You can't experience that in a film, no matter how brilliant the film is.
Bingo! And it's also cool to meet the cast at the stage door afterward. They're always very friendly and appreciative. The whole experience is just so much more real!
Rising Dead Man wrote:I just bought this for Ed Gein.

I don't think it will be allowed at school, but after I leave the doors im carrying this around.
Nice head... where didja get it?? I haven't seen one like that before...