Make any Halloween purchases yet?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
adrian
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Make any Halloween purchases yet?

Post by adrian » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:15 pm

spinergy2002 wrote:Have you guys noticed Fright Catalog seems to be just limping by this year. They have a lot of 1 cent auctions on ebay, and a lot of their props are either out of stock or discontinued.

About the ebay auctions, you could buy a set of black Halloween string lights for like a dollar but where they get you is $10 shipping charge. Seems to me like more and more people are doing the do it yourself thing when it comes to yard haunting, and that may not be a bad thing. A lot of the time the do it yourself stuff is of much higher quality and genrally more realistic and creative.

i agree. i personally make my stuff but also enjoy a little shopping here and there :)
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

shanda
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by shanda » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:28 pm

I love making my own stuff. The dusting glitter isn't that bad. It only takes a small amount and it holds to the glue easy. Try the Martha Stewart Glittering Glue and Glitter at Walmart. It goes a long way. I found the larger bottles of glitter (orange, silver, and black ) at Michaels in a box with the glue.

All you need to do is put down newspaper. This stuff is much easier than the flake, glass stuff you think of with glitter.

Big Lots has a human size foam skull with silver glitter already on it for $8.00. Cheap if you want to add a little bit of shine without the mess.

Cat friendly!
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright,
Oggie Boogie

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:31 pm

haha it'd have to be if Gomez and Moritica (plus the new addition to our family Harry Scary) were to be roaming around it :) they'd tear the glitter apart!!

martha's mag this year is so cool! this is the first year i've gotten it and i absolutely love it!! she has so many cool ideas that aren't intangeable you know?

I hope our Auburn (War Eagle) K-Mart has stuff out. i haven't been there yet but supposed to be going this weekend (the big decorating days are saturday and sunday )

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:31 pm

haha it'd have to be if Gomez and Moritica (plus the new addition to our family Harry Scary) were to be roaming around it :) they'd tear the glitter apart!!

martha's mag this year is so cool! this is the first year i've gotten it and i absolutely love it!! she has so many cool ideas that aren't intangeable you know?

I hope our Auburn (War Eagle) K-Mart has stuff out. i haven't been there yet but supposed to be going this weekend (the big decorating days are saturday and sunday )

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:18 pm

I hope to tonight.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

MyersFan1
Halloween Master

Post by MyersFan1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:49 pm

Today I bought a swinging ghost to use in my yard haunt. It comes with cable that you tie around two trees and the ghost swings down the cable and it actually looks like the ghost is moving through the air. I tried it out today and it works great. Its a really good addition to my haunt.

Belladonna
Halloween Master

Post by Belladonna » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:09 pm

That sounds cool, MyersFan!

I got my huge web up on the outside of my house today. Whew! Work-intensive but worth it!
Now I want to find something Chainsaw Massacre-ish for the back yard. Without running up a huge shopping bill, that is.

The homemade stuff is best, I agree.
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, and I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."

MyersFan1
Halloween Master

Post by MyersFan1 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:31 pm

Belladonna wrote:That sounds cool, MyersFan!

I got my huge web up on the outside of my house today. Whew! Work-intensive but worth it!
Now I want to find something Chainsaw Massacre-ish for the back yard. Without running up a huge shopping bill, that is.

Oh yeah homemade stuff is no doubt the best. You can add your own creativity and special touches to homemade stuff and i think that gives it the upper hand.

But tell me about this giant web you put up. Is there any way you could post pictures? I'm looking for new ideas.

wendythewitch
Crypt Keeper

Post by wendythewitch » Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:45 pm

i saw a really awesome spider web done on the top of someone house once. it was made of black rope and the legs were made out of that stuff you put over pipes for insulation...like a tube with a slit lengthwise to fit over a pipe. it was black and it looked really cool. i cant remember what he made the head out of tho. it was HUGE..

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:12 pm

OH MY GOD!! i just blew over $200 at spirit this weekend!! and my yard haunt has started out AMAZING!! i did buy a good ground fogger!!

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:04 am

adrian wrote:OH MY GOD!! i just blew over $200 at spirit this weekend!! and my yard haunt has started out AMAZING!! i did buy a good ground fogger!!
which ground fogger did you buy, I have this one but it isnt that good, only 400 watts

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merc ... /29009.jpg
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

magnolia
Ghost

Post by magnolia » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:49 am

I have started my halloween shop, picked up some nice pirate costumes and other sexy costumes, masks from a new dealer MILANOO. their free shipping offer ends soon.

Belladonna
Halloween Master

Post by Belladonna » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:16 am

MyersFan1 wrote:
Belladonna wrote:That sounds cool, MyersFan!

Oh yeah homemade stuff is no doubt the best. You can add your own creativity and special touches to homemade stuff and i think that gives it the upper hand.

But tell me about this giant web you put up. Is there any way you could post pictures? I'm looking for new ideas.
It is all about the creativity for me! It's such fun putting it all together. :)

About the web - a customer/friend of mine gave it to me. I really have no idea of the size, but it's huge. I string it from a tree to either a post on the porch, or to some of the gingerbread above the porch right under my window.
If I can find a photo of the house with the web, I'll post it.

I can't believe I'm sitting on here at 5:15 a.m. ! The wind is howling outside the window in 50 mph gusts, or very close to that. It put me right in the mood!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, and I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."

wendythewitch
Crypt Keeper

Post by wendythewitch » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:07 am

i just bought a garland of butcher shop items, it has the cleaver and bloody knives hanging from it. got it for 11.99 online. were doing a butcher shop in the dining room. i have a bunch of body parts and i figure with a white table cloth and the parts from the garland it will make a cool display. the garland is 7 foot long and i only need a small part of that to hang, so the rest i can dismantle for other places like the autopsy room im doing in the bathroom...sweet..i cant wait for it to come! go UPS!

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:19 pm

Six foot spiders and bloody butchers.... I love this time of year..!!!

I think I need a few more skulls for my fence posts, so I'll probably be head-hunting tomorrow myself....