Stores rushing thru Halloween!

Discussion of general Halloween topics
shanda
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Stores rushing thru Halloween!

Post by shanda » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:30 pm

I went out Halloween shopping today, was very disappointed!
Target seemed to be squishing Halloween to the side and making room for Christmas!!
I felt the same way as I entered several other stores!!!

I love Christmas, don't get me wrong, but let us at least get to November 1st!!!
Halloween items are already sold out and I feel that it is not given the time it deserves! I want to enjoy all of the creepy goodness Halloween has to offer.

I want black and orange in October, Not red and green!!!
I want ghosts and witches in October, Not Santa and Frosty!!!
I want severed heads and zombie babies on October, Not candy canes and sugar plums!!!
Give me my Halloween!!!
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright,
Oggie Boogie

Halloween_crazyy
Haunt Master

Re: Stores rushing thru Halloween!

Post by Halloween_crazyy » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:40 pm

I know exactly what you mean!!! I don't believe Halloween's popularity has gone dow any, so why are stores rushing away Halloween?!
H A P P Y H A L L O W E E N !

MyersFan1
Halloween Master

Post by MyersFan1 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:55 pm

That's a shame. Unfortunately stores seem to only care about the $$$ involved with holidays, not the spirit and joy that they bring. It is easy to say that Christmas items make more money for stores than Halloween stuff does, so that is most likely why the stores are putting Halloween on the back burner. I don't think this is right, and it makes me really sad when stores seem to do this. That's why stores that are dedicated to only Halloween are really nice, such as Spirit, and Halloween Express.

Don't get me wrong, I love Christmas almost as much as Halloween, but like Shanda stated, I'm ready for XMAS on Nov. 1 at the earliest.

Wicked Witch
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Wicked Witch » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:58 pm

I was telling my husband the exact same thing when we were at Michael's on Saturday that is just a darn shame that they are shoving Halloweeen out of the way to make room for Christmas. To be honest by the time Thanksgiving gets here - quite honestly - I am sick of Christmas........ They need to give Halloween its fair share of time.
The Wicked Witch

Halloweennut08
Haunt Master

Post by Halloweennut08 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:32 am

For whatever reason something is always pushing Halloween to the side, And it ticks me off and that's a severe understatement. Last year The stupid election overtook Halloween and this year like you have said is pushing way for Old fat Santa. My goodness Santa is still probably on vacation for crying out loud lol. And he is probably saying what the kids say when back to school comes out during summer vacation. Put those stupid things away lol :). No but how pitiful is this Wal-mart in my area No Halloween decor up at all, Menards pretty good this year only a couple of aisles compared to last year. But whats a shame and makes me mad Menards has 4 aisles of Halloween which is good, but they have 5 aisles of Christmas <deleted>. Same with wall mart even worse they only have about 3 or four Halloween decor out while they already have a bunch of Christmas stuff out. Now come on here at least lets have a full Halloween here that's like putting grass fertilizer back on the shelves in January it makes no sense.
HALLOWEEN 2011 THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!!!!

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:35 am

we should begin a movement :) picketing across america! "Put Halloween back into our homes and communities" we'll say :)
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

WitchyMama
Crypt Keeper

Post by WitchyMama » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:29 am

adrian wrote:we should begin a movement :) picketing across america! "Put Halloween back into our homes and communities" we'll say :)
LOL! That will get some people REALLY riled up in my town.

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:58 am

good ole halloween ramblin :)

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:08 am

I worked at one of the big home improvement retail stores for two years, and we would start getting our trim-a-tree Christmas stuff shipped in to the store around late July or early August. The patio furniture room would be turned into the Christmas room usually by the last week in August. Only in the past year or two have I noticed that they are finally getting a little bit of Halloween stuff in; it was always one of my biggest gripes about working there.

The funny thing is, everybody moans and groans when Christmas stuff appears in the late summer or early fall, but people buy it as soon as it hits the floor. By the Friday after Thanksgiving ("Black Friday", retail employees call it), the room would already be half cleaned out, and by December 1st, three quarters of the stuff would be gone.

Now let that be a lesson to you. Retailers stock what sells, and what sells quickly. So if you want them to stock more Halloween stuff, buy as much of it as you possibly can, and encourage all your friends and family to do the same! Money talks and apathy balks!

MyersFan1
Halloween Master

Post by MyersFan1 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:13 pm

MacPhantom wrote: Now let that be a lesson to you. Retailers stock what sells, and what sells quickly. So if you want them to stock more Halloween stuff, buy as much of it as you possibly can, and encourage all your friends and family to do the same! Money talks and apathy balks!
I have to say I do more than my share when it comes to buying, maybe too much :lol: . But your exactly right, stores put out what sells, and people go NUTS over Christmas decorations.

Halloweennut08
Haunt Master

Post by Halloweennut08 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:30 am

Then why in the heck if I'm not mistaken this is the top two Holiday's people spend money on.
1.Christmas
2.Halloween

Who cares if Christmas stuff sells quick If you have the top 2 money makers in the Holiday spending spree. Why in the someone in the right mind keep both on the shelf to make more money. That's because stupid decisions like put up the Halloween stuff and limit what goes up on Halloween week. And hurry up the Christmas display is why they are suffering it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know If you want to make money put a great Halloween display and then put up Christmas stuff along with it about November and then let the Halloween stuff sell out. Stores would make a lot more money that way.
HALLOWEEN 2011 THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS!!!!

aim2meus
Ghost

Post by aim2meus » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:02 am

Hi,
I guess Halloween is not profitable enough for stores so they prefer to get ready for Christmas, but the online site are giving Halloween the respect he deserves.And even though it is not as great as going to the stores it is still a lot of fun and much cheaper.
Since I love Halloween, I decided to do a little research of which costumes are hot for this year and where I can find them at affordable prices. I enjoyed that research so much that I decided to create my own internet site. This site contains recommendations of what are the hottest costume this year for kids and for adults, it also contains articles about this year trands, and it has links to some of the best on-line costume shop with the best prices, discount coupons and much more.
If you want to make your life a little easier this year and enjoy a little of Halloween spirit I suggest you check the site.
The page link is: http://sites.google.com/site/holloweenclub/
Check it out and if you have any comments or suggestions, I will be happy to hear.

Aim2meus

WitchyMama
Crypt Keeper

Post by WitchyMama » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:42 am

I think it's important to remember....not everywhere are people excited about Halloween. Our Kmart, Walmart, and Targets don't put out that much because people here don't buy it. We have two whole stores to go to within a 50mile radius that are devoted to Halloween. I had spoken with one of the managers at the closest one to me and he said that most years they are lucky to make around 10% profit but they always manage to break even. If the economy effects them this year it's quite possible they won't be back next year. While they aren't open solely to make profit, they have to have something to be able to operate the business.

Some of us die hards have to figure out other ways to obtain our goods.

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:46 am

we could obtain our goods by making them :) creative decorations are so much fun anyway :)

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:07 pm

Part of the problem too is that Christmas has a major gifting component, which lends itself to the purchase of tons of red and green and frosty items that you aren't getting for yourself, and that make up a huge portion of sales. Sure, we give out candy, but most of us don't give our friends and family Halloween presents ("Hmmm.... let's check the list... I got Tim that severed head, and Sally those glittery bats. Still need to get Kelly that zombie mask, and Karen the vampire teeth, but I'm done with Kyle, Jim, Stacey, and Elvis [they're just going to love the rats with the blinking eyes!]. And then I just have to pick up half a dozen screaming skulls for the gang at the office, and... Oh, shoot....! What am I gonna get Aunt Sandy this year? Does she need a new cauldron, I wonder....?").

Yep, I'm gonna go ahead and blame all of us here for not making Halloween profitable enough. Let's try harder, people! Light up that charge card! Go couch-diving for loose change! Let's get off our duffs and go spend money like we're not in the middle of the second Great Depression! Take out a fourth mortgage on that house! Sell your car or your bike! Get an advance on your allowance! Tap into your kids' college funds! Together we can make Halloween a multi-billion dollar industry! Yes we can! Yes we can!!