Halloween Books

Halloween writing, poetry, fan pics and more!
demon gal
Zombie
What is the highest number?: 9

Halloween Books

Post by demon gal » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi everyone. I'm always looking for novels in which the story takes place on or around Halloween. Something in the spirit of ‘Something Wicked This Way Comes’. I like to read just about anything, Horror would probably be the genre that has the most Halloween related books.

If you have any suggestions please post them here. Not looking for kids books but if you have any you would like to list here feel free.

Thanks and have a spooky day. :study:
Backward, turn backward,
O Time, in your flight
make me a child again
just for to-night!

ElMuertoMan17
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Halloween Books

Post by ElMuertoMan17 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:41 pm

I also have had a hard time finding books of that particular genre. There are few. I usually read Stephen King books. They are not horror per se, but thriller. Cell Phone(I think that is what the title is) was a very good book. IT is not Halloween though.
La bruja, la bruja
se quedó encerrada
en una burbuja.
La bruja, la boba
con escoba y todo
con todo y escoba.

shanda
Halloween Master

Post by shanda » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:45 pm

I am reading "The Stranger Beside Me" by Ann Rule right now. It has nothing to do with Halloween, but it is about Ted Bundy. It is so creepy and interesting! Sometimes the truth is scarier!!!
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright,
Oggie Boogie

Autumnal_whispers
Crypt Keeper

Post by Autumnal_whispers » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:15 am

After hearing about the horror convention in Pittsburgh this fall, I wanted to get something by one of the horror writers that will be there. I haven't started on it yet, because I'm in the middle of "IT" by Stephen King. (It's torture for me since I end up reading one book while in the middle of another, so I'm trying to break that habit. lol) But his name is Jonathan Maberry, and the book is called "Bad Moon Rising." The back of it says:

"Each year, the residents of Pine Deep host the Halloween Festival, drawing tourists and celebrities from across the country to enjoy the deliciously creepy fun. Those who visit the small Pennsylvania town are out for a good time, but those who live there are desperately trying to survive...
For a monstrous evil lies among them, a savage presence whose malicious power has grown too powerful even for death to hold it back. Only a handful of brave souls stand against the King of the Dead and a red wave of destruction. Daylight is fading and a bad moon is rising over Pine Deep. Keep watching the shadows..."

So if you're interested, you should be able to find it at a local Borders or something. I started reading the intro, and it said this is the third novel in the Pine Deep Trilogy, but that you could read this one on its own if you wished. =]

demon gal
Zombie

Post by demon gal » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:25 pm

Yes I have heard of Bad Moon Rising, I have it in my Amazon wish list. It's actually the third book in a trilogy he wrote, Ghost Road Blues is the first followed by Dead Man's Song and than Bad Moon Rising.

Also I have compiled a small list if anyone is interested in Horror that takes place during Halloween.

Allhallow's Eve- Richard Laymon
The Halloween Man - Douglas Clegg
The Halloween Tree - Ray Bradbury
Dark Harvest - Norman Partridge (This is a classic Halloween story I read last year)
The Ultimate Halloween - Marvin Kaye (Short Stories)
Halloweenland - Al Sarrantonio
Horrorween - Al Sarrantonio
Hallows Eve - Al Sarrantonio
Orangefield - Al Sarrantonio
October - Al Sarrantonio
Halloween and Other Seasons - Al Sarrantonio (short stories)
October Dreams:: A Celebration of Halloween - Various (short stories)

I'll update the list as I find more:
Backward, turn backward,
O Time, in your flight
make me a child again
just for to-night!

Autumnal_whispers
Crypt Keeper

Post by Autumnal_whispers » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:05 pm

demon gal wrote:Yes I have heard of Bad Moon Rising, I have it in my Amazon wish list. It's actually the third book in a trilogy he wrote, Ghost Road Blues is the first followed by Dead Man's Song and than Bad Moon Rising.

Also I have compiled a small list if anyone is interested in Horror that takes place during Halloween.

Allhallow's Eve- Richard Laymon
The Halloween Man - Douglas Clegg
The Halloween Tree - Ray Bradbury
Dark Harvest - Norman Partridge (This is a classic Halloween story I read last year)
The Ultimate Halloween - Marvin Kaye (Short Stories)
Halloweenland - Al Sarrantonio
Horrorween - Al Sarrantonio
Hallows Eve - Al Sarrantonio
Orangefield - Al Sarrantonio
October - Al Sarrantonio
Halloween and Other Seasons - Al Sarrantonio (short stories)
October Dreams:: A Celebration of Halloween - Various (short stories)

I'll update the list as I find more:
I'm so putting all of these on my Christmas wishlist. (Since hopefully I can score some discount Halloween stuff for my birthday. :wink: )

demon gal
Zombie

Post by demon gal » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:26 pm

I can't vouch for how good these books are I only read Dark Harvest, which was pretty good. It reminded me of old 60's horror movies.
Backward, turn backward,
O Time, in your flight
make me a child again
just for to-night!

Autumnal_whispers
Crypt Keeper

Post by Autumnal_whispers » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:43 pm

Ohh okay. I'll look these up online and see what amazon says about them, but thank you. :)

CannibalsOnCannabis
Crypt Keeper

Post by CannibalsOnCannabis » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:52 pm

Whoever said Dark Harvest and The Halloween Tree--mhmm, I applaud those two fantastic novels. Some of the best I've ever read, oh my Lord, and so very quick you'll be finished with them before the night is through (at least I was--and I'm a relatively slow reader). Also, I agree with whoever said Jonathan Maberry and Al Sarrantonio--those guys know how to keep the Heart of Halloween pumping all year long.
From The Dust Returned, also by Ray Bradbury, would be another one to check out. It's not exactly a Halloween book, but if it doesn't get you in the mood to carve some pumpkins, then I don't know what will.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:39 am

I would like to find a book that contains a collection of short Halloween stories. I had a really good one when I was in College. "Tales of Edgar Alen Poe." It was destroyed when our basement flooded back in 93.

Mike

demon gal
Zombie

Post by demon gal » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:57 pm

Mike I listed a few short story books above. If you search on Amazon you should have no problem finding a lot more. It seems there are a lot more short story books than novels.
Backward, turn backward,
O Time, in your flight
make me a child again
just for to-night!