I feel so discouraged

Are you having a Halloween Party? Discuss ideas here!
magickbean
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by magickbean » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:51 pm

Aww ooga_booga I'm sure your party will be ace! From my experience of parties, it doesn't matter how many people you invite, or how many people say that they're coming, the turnout will always be different! :lol: Last year I invited 30 people, 20 said that they were definitely coming and do you know how many people I ended up with.....? 12, including ME! lol! Shocking, I know, and I was originally a bit disappointed by the people who hadn't bothered to turn up (or let me know ..) but then I realised that the people who did turn up were what mattered, and they made it a great party, despite the small crowd. The people that turned up were also people that I had been talking to about the party for a good month and a half before I did it, so plenty of notice (and plenty of reminders) definitely helps :D

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:24 pm

Good for you, ooga_booga!!!! It'll be great fun no matter how many people turn up!!!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

I B Howlin' Wolfman
Halloween Master

Post by I B Howlin' Wolfman » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:06 pm

Larissa is right. It DOES take a while to get things rolling.

The first Halloween party I threw, had about five people.
(Most of them showed in street clothes with the excuse "I'm
dressed as a scared person", or something like that. We see
that the zombies got to them BEFORE they made it to the party,
eh? Totally brainless costume planning.

But these were my closest friends. So it was great anyway.

The next year, I had more guests, because my friends did nothing
but talk about "last year's party". (I love my buddies!)

Every year, my guest numbers grew & grew. The party got bigger & bigger.

This year, I can't feed everyone, or provide drinks, so it's turned into a
"Bring your own "booze" and a covered dish bash. I'm just providing the
atmosphere. Thing is everyone wanted to bring food to share. It was
very hard to prevent them from asking, so I sort of caved in. On the plus side,
I can now use the money I was going to use for party food for more decorations.
So it all works out.

Wishin' you the best of luck for your bash, and take pictures to
rub in the faces of those party poopers. :twisted:
-26 Days }'-{1}
My website Link ^

ooga_booga
Haunt Master

Post by ooga_booga » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:09 am

None of my guests have RSVP'd, and they were told to respond by October 10. Tonight we went to see a movie with a few people, including a girl we invited, and her mum told us that she couldn't make it (after a tangent on how people should make the effort to attend these things :roll: ) So that's pretty much the only thing that's been confirmed so far. But if anyone shows up, I'll have them take a page out of I B's book, and do nothing but talk about "last year's party" :lol: since the few people who turned up for my bonfire had a pretty good time.
Serial Thread Killer.

ooga_booga
Haunt Master

Post by ooga_booga » Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:35 am

One of my freinds just told me she's coming! :D
That makes a total confirmed guest count of one.
Serial Thread Killer.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:28 pm

LOL :lol: :lol:

People these days don't have good manners! They don't feel like it is necessary to RSVP. So every year I estimate, and every year the food gets eaten and the booze gets drunk :?: and we all have a great time!!

I B Howlin' Wolfman
Halloween Master

Post by I B Howlin' Wolfman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:27 pm

Man! If the booze gets drunk, then I have to start attending your parties Mama Hootch! :lol:
-26 Days }'-{1}
My website Link ^

ooga_booga
Haunt Master

Post by ooga_booga » Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:44 am

MHooch wrote:People these days don't have good manners! They don't feel like it is necessary to RSVP.
Maybe so, but I shouldn't have to poke my friends with sticks in order to get any reply!
Serial Thread Killer.

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:37 pm

ooga_booga wrote: Maybe so, but I shouldn't have to poke my friends with sticks in order to get any reply!
I know what you mean, ooga_booga.. I have invited 30 people through my facebook, and only 9 people (including myself) have confirmed that they are coming.. 2 have said no, and 6 have said maybe. I will probably count the the people who said "maybe" as not coming, as if they haven't committed, chances are they will either just not turn up without notice or they will come up with an excuse such as "I couldn't find a costume" at the last minute. :roll:

But that's just what happens with parties - especially in the teenage age bracket. I'm inviting a bunch of 19-23 year olds, and the apathy is still there. It's cool to be casual :lol:. So don't worry, I'm sure as long as you give them a card with a date and a time on it, and give them an incentive to dress up (I'm holding a costume competition) and keep talking about how great it's going to be, people will turn up - (even if they don't tell you they're coming!)

I B Howlin' Wolfman
Halloween Master

Post by I B Howlin' Wolfman » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:11 pm

ooga_booga wrote:
MHooch wrote:People these days don't have good manners! They don't feel like it is necessary to RSVP.
Maybe so, but I shouldn't have to poke my friends with sticks in order to get any reply!
Maybe, call them up and start talking about something, like "how ya doin'? Is life treating you good? How's the family?" and how "you haven't been able to talk to them, as you've been busy getting ready for the party." and eventually work the conversation around and ask, "Can I count on you to attend my halloween bash? I have to make sure I have enough for everyone."

Don't even MENTION the fact that they should have RSVP. (Some people don't even KNOW what "RSVP" MEANS!) Shameful, but true. But don't make it sound like you're repramanding them for the RSVP thing. So a gentle reminder that your party is coming up and that costumes are expected.

It's ALWAYS a good idea to follow up, and get a verbal confirmation. Now that the party date is in the same month, they may need a gentle reminder. So, go ahead and push a "LITTLE".
-26 Days }'-{1}
My website Link ^

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:22 pm

Well said, Howlin'!

ooga_booga
Haunt Master

Post by ooga_booga » Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:47 am

Well, I had my party on saturday. We had 3 guests over, which is still a better outcome than last year (I even had a guest who replied to my invitation on his own, without me having to follow it up!) and we had a good time.
I've asked one of my friends who came to brag about my party if she sees any of my other friends :lol:
Serial Thread Killer.

I B Howlin' Wolfman
Halloween Master

Post by I B Howlin' Wolfman » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:37 pm

ooga_booga wrote:Well, I had my party on saturday. We had 3 guests over, which is still a better outcome than last year (I even had a guest who replied to my invitation on his own, without me having to follow it up!) and we had a good time.
I've asked one of my friends who came to brag about my party if she sees any of my other friends :lol:
Three people. Sounds intamate & easy goin'

Mine's going to have 20+. I AM GOING TO BE BUSY! I probably won't have much time to sit, relax & actually enjoy myself. Just go, go GO GO!
-26 Days }'-{1}
My website Link ^