Where to get orange bulbs?

What do you like to decorate with? That bucket of blood?
Tidytourniquet
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Where to get orange bulbs?

Post by Tidytourniquet » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:41 am

For the past couple years I have been on the look out for orange bulbs for the candelabras in my windows. There used to be this store called Franks that always had any colored bulbs you could want, even string lights but the store closed down and now I can't find colored bulbs anywhere and even the clear ones are hard to find sometimes. Does anyone know of any store that sells them?

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:41 am

It's definitely worth checking your local independent DIY store - that's where I got mine from :) They have pretty much every type of bulb you can get, and I believe bigger chain DIY stores should cater for them in their lighting section. We have places like B&Q over here.... I'm not sure what the US equivalent would be?

They do also sell them on eBay, but it's always a bit dodgy ordering something so fragile through the post :?

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:37 pm

Did you check Target or any craft or home stores like Home Depot??
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

Tidytourniquet
Crypt Keeper

Post by Tidytourniquet » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:28 am

I have been to Home depot, Lowes, Target, Walmart, Kmart and I believe my mom went to Michaels and we can't find any colored bulbs. Even during christmas time we try to get colored bulbs like green or red and we can't find any like we used to but yet when we drive past other peoples houses they have colored bulbs. It's kinda getting to the point where we want to knock on their door and ask but they will probably think we are nuts.

sharkey
Ghost

Post by sharkey » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:36 pm

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/00 ... lor/100ACO

i wouldnt be too hesitant about ordering online with shipping, i mean you would think they would take the packaging into consideration..
"Laurie, whats the boogeyman?"

Tidytourniquet
Crypt Keeper

Post by Tidytourniquet » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:22 pm

Thanks but those bulbs are too big. I'm looking for the little bulbs that would fit into the candelabras that go in windows. Like these but orange, http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/13- ... 02009.aspx
I can't believe that are this hard to find, I'm thinking of actually painting the clear ones orange but I don't know what I could use on a bulb.

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:05 am

Tidytourniquet, go back to the site that Sharkey posted. On the left side there are links. One is labeled Halloween bulbs. Click on it and it will give you two that might be what you are looking for, the "Flickering" or the "Decorative". Check it out. :D
Because once you cross that bridge, my friend, the ghost is through, his power ends.

I B Howlin' Wolfman
Halloween Master

Post by I B Howlin' Wolfman » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:10 pm

Almost hate to say it... But is there a year-round Christmas store in the area? We have one here called Robert's and they carry all sorts of christmas bulbs.

If you want it to actually throw some light out there, I'd go with the bulb that is shaped like a flame. It's painted in a gradient, from orange near the base, to yellow at the tip.

Flicker Flame bulbs are something that comes on a string of seven sockets this time of year. Since you get 7 bulbs for about $10, I think it's a great deal than if you bought them separately.

As far as the night-light style bulbs, the frosted deep yellow bulbs come the closest to "orange", even though they may be marked "yellow".

I haven't seen any clear-coat "orange" bulbs, their always marked as Yellow, but they do come close to being orange. They also burn cool, so they won't be generating THAT much heat.

If worse comes to worse, use yellow bulbs, and put a dimmer on the chandelier. Dim the lights a bit and the bulbs will glow a bit more orangey.
-26 Days }'-{1}
My website Link ^

Tidytourniquet
Crypt Keeper

Post by Tidytourniquet » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:23 am

$1.55 per bulb plus almost $8 shipping seems a bit much for little bulbs, I'll think about it but I doubt I will spend that much for a 1 inch bulb that will most likely blow before Halloween even comes.

I have thought about getting the flicker bulbs, I do see them every once in a while around here but they don't put out enough light so I always decided against them.

I honestly can't say that I have ever seen yellow bulbs either but I don't know how well they would go anyway.

Thank you guys for helping me try to find them, if I do actually find them somewhere I'll make sure to post just in case someone else wants them.

I B Howlin' Wolfman
Halloween Master

Post by I B Howlin' Wolfman » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:33 pm

At Target, they have an assortment pack of four colors. The "yellow" bulb looks pretty orange to me. This is a pack of four, for $1.49. These are candelabrum size base. They come in two round sizes. Small and large. (Same price regardless of size.)

Heres what it looks like under power. One of the orange bulbs is hanging below this fixture, and I had to darken the shot a bit, or it would be a big bright blob of light.
-26 Days }'-{1}
My website Link ^

Tidytourniquet
Crypt Keeper

Post by Tidytourniquet » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:51 am

Thanks, I'll have a look at Target the next time I can get out there. I wonder if they would be too big for what I want them for though, you have them in a hanging chandler and I'm looking for bulbs for candelabras like these.
http://www.allynhouseinnauvoo.com/store ... 243919.jpg

I B Howlin' Wolfman
Halloween Master

Post by I B Howlin' Wolfman » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:47 pm

The bulbs are round, and are in two different sizes.

If a night-light bulb will fit in that socket, these will fit too.
-26 Days }'-{1}
My website Link ^

Stranger with candy
Master Reaper

Post by Stranger with candy » Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:02 pm

Tidy, I saw exactly what you're looking for in Wal-Mart. They're kind of hard to find in the Halloween stuff because they're just on a card, but they're there! Two for .76, orange flickering candelabra bulbs.

WannaBeWitchy
Vampire

Post by WannaBeWitchy » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:41 am

I have looked here in my town for some. No luck !!! I did see some orange C7 bulbs (xmas) type that may work. Just let me know. I would be more then happy to grab a couple of boxes and send your way..

WW
When black cats prowl and pumpkins gleam,
May luck be yours on Halloween.
~Author Unknown