HIPPIELUVN'S HALLOWEEN HORRORTHON 2024

Halloween and Horror Movies
Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: HIPPIELUVN'S HALLOWEEN HORRORTHON 2024

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Sep 17, 2024 12:48 am

Murfreesboro wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 10:29 am I hadn't even heard there was going to be a new Nosferatu. Is this perhaps the 100th anniversary of the original?

What was the name of that movie about the filming of it? The one back in the '90s maybe? Willem Dafoe, I think?

'Shadow of the Vampire' and its a phantasmagoric movie. The whole cast is brilliant and it's well written and beautifully filmed.

Found it on YooToob https://youtu.be/5Xl0l0gtK6g?si=TVSYtKzsM0gyzOPL

Darkly humorous.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:31 am

I used to have it on VHS, but I never got it on DVD. I think Willem Dafoe was Oscar-nominated for it.

The premise is that they're making the original, silent Nosferatu, but they don't realize that their lead actor is an actual vampire.

A documentary entitled The Search for Dracula sounds interesting.

hippieluvn
Halloween Master

Post by hippieluvn » Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:44 am

I've been very busy with the United Nations General Assembly in NY...

But last night, I found time to watch VAMPIRE IN BROOKLYN... Haha :lol:

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:21 pm

That is a very underappriciated movie.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

hippieluvn
Halloween Master

Post by hippieluvn » Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:38 pm

In anticipation of the new SALEM'S LOT (2024) feature film which premieres on Max next week...

Tonight, I will begin watching the original 1979 CBS mini-series followed by the 2004 TNT version...

It will take a few nights to finish both mini-series, and I've also begun re-reading this great SK novel :twisted:
ImageImage

hippieluvn
Halloween Master

Post by hippieluvn » Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:39 pm

hippieluvn wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:38 pm In anticipation of the new SALEM'S LOT (2024) feature film which premieres on Max next week...

Tonight, I will begin watching the original 1979 CBS mini-series followed by the 2004 TNT version...

It will take a few nights to finish both mini-series, and I've also begun re-reading this great SK novel :twisted:
ImageImage

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:16 pm

Meanwhile, I've started my annual re-viewing of the TV series Grimm, which I've always loved.

hippieluvn
Halloween Master

Post by hippieluvn » Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:49 pm

Murfreesboro wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:16 pm Meanwhile, I've started my annual re-viewing of the TV series Grimm, which I've always loved.
I've never watch that show. Is it a live-action version of the Grimm fairy tales?

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:54 pm

Not exactly.

It is set in contemporary Portland, Oregon. The main character is a police detective, but in the pilot he is surprised by a visit from his aunt, who is dying of cancer. He had been raised by her after his parents were killed in a car crash.

Because she is dying, her supernatural powers are being transferred to him. He has known nothing about this, but members of his family are descendants of the brothers Grimm, who had a kind of second sight. The stories they wrote were true. They could see the secret self inside certain people.

If you ever watched the English series Sherlock, which transposes the old Sherlock Holmes stories to modern times, that's the way Grimm works.

The best thing about Grimm is the ensemble cast. I love love love the various characters and the actors who portray them. The core ensemble is the Grimm, Nick, and his girlfriend Juliette; his police partner Hank and their co-worker Wu; their boss, police chief Sean Renard; Nick's friend Monroe, and Monroe's girlfriend Rosalie; and a witch named Adalind.

Grimm was never a massive hit, but it had a hard-core cult following. Most of those people were young enough to have been my kids, but I loved it, too. There is still an active Wiki-fandom for Grimm

hippieluvn
Halloween Master

Post by hippieluvn » Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:51 pm

Murfreesboro wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:54 pm Not exactly.

It is set in contemporary Portland, Oregon. The main character is a police detective, but in the pilot he is surprised by a visit from his aunt, who is dying of cancer. He had been raised by her after his parents were killed in a car crash.

Because she is dying, her supernatural powers are being transferred to him. He has known nothing about this, but members of his family are descendants of the brothers Grimm, who had a kind of second sight. The stories they wrote were true. They could see the secret self inside certain people.

If you ever watched the English series Sherlock, which transposes the old Sherlock Holmes stories to modern times, that's the way Grimm works.

The best thing about Grimm is the ensemble cast. I love love love the various characters and the actors who portray them. The core ensemble is the Grimm, Nick, and his girlfriend Juliette; his police partner Hank and their co-worker Wu; their boss, police chief Sean Renard; Nick's friend Monroe, and Monroe's girlfriend Rosalie; and a witch named Adalind.

Grimm was never a massive hit, but it had a hard-core cult following. Most of those people were young enough to have been my kids, but I loved it, too. There is still an active Wiki-fandom for Grimm
Sounds interesting. Where can I watch?

hippieluvn
Halloween Master

Post by hippieluvn » Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:56 pm

To the late, great Dame Maggie Smith—RIP :cry:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:49 pm

Aww, our whole family was saddened to hear that today. Text messages were flying.

About Grimm, I have it on dvd, and the series is usually for sale at Walmart this time of year. But when I looked on line just now, I immediately saw that it's streaming on Peacock and Amazon Prime. Perhaps also on NBC.com and the CW. YouTube TV seems to have it right now. Since I don't use streaming services, I don't know what's free and what isn't. But you can probably find a few episodes for free. Since the story is progressive, try to find the first season.

ETA: apparently it's free on the CW.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Sep 28, 2024 8:33 am

hippieluvn wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 12:57 am
MauEvig wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:39 pm Welcome back!
Let us know how Speak No Evil is. I haven't seen it myself.
I've seen "See No Evil" but I don't know if the movies are related. See No Evil has the wrestler Kane in it.
Hello MauEvig, how are you? Hope all is well.

SPEAK NO EVIL was quite good, more psychological thriller than horror, but good fun and fine acting nonetheless :shock:
Sometimes a good psychological thriller is fun to watch though, and definitely in line with the season!

I'd say anything spooky, thriller horror or even eccentrically kooky is perfect for Halloween!
hippieluvn wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2024 3:56 pm To the late, great Dame Maggie Smith—RIP :cry:
RIP! Such sad news. :( She made a wonderful Professor McGonagall I thought.

As for Beetlejuice II, I actually enjoyed it. But to each their own! We've actually been watching the old cartoon series. The dynamic is definitely a lot different! Not only is the cartoon more "kid friendly," but Beetlejuice and Lydia are besties. XD Lydia is a lot younger in the cartoon too, and I believe the mom might be her actual mom and her step mom.
My headcanon is that the cartoon is an alternate universe, where the world of the dead is called the Netherworld, and it's more of a land of monsters than strictly the afterlife.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

hippieluvn
Halloween Master

Post by hippieluvn » Sat Sep 28, 2024 12:46 pm

Today, I'm laid up with a nasty cold, watching SILVER BULLET on FearFest :twisted:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Sep 28, 2024 4:24 pm

Sorry you're feeling bad. Otherwise, it sounds like a nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon.