Re: Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter Trailer

Post by VanHelsingStandIn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Chuck Norris is tougher.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:16 am

Pumpkin56 wrote:Forgive me if I'm showing my ignorance, but American history always bored me to tears--wasn't Theodore Roosevelt a big game hunter? Perhaps he could be a werewolf hunter... 8)
Yes, he was. And he went on a bear hunt in Mississippi (my home state), but the only bear he found to hunt was old and hurt, so he wouldn't shoot it. That's why the toy makers invented the "Teddy Bear" and named it after him.

American history is fascinating, Pumpkin. You need to give it another try. I'd recommend some of the good narrative histories aimed at the general public, like McCullough's John Adams or Ambrose's Undaunted Courage (about the Lewis & Clark expedition). Both books read like novels. I read a really good book about Lincoln a few years ago called Redeemer President, can't remember who wrote that one. But it was an intellectual biography, focusing on Lincoln's education and social milieu, and I learned enormously, not only about him, but about what the American frontier was like in his youth.

As for graphic novels and their influence on movies--I think film makers like them because they are already "story boarded," so to speak. You know, the way movies have to be imagined scene by scene before they can be filmed. Also, of course, there seem to be quite a few imaginative and even thought-provoking graphic novels nowadays, although I myself have never gotten into that genre.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:27 pm

I actualy went and saw that movie, against my 'better judgement,' but as it turned out it was a pretty good flick. I am not a huge fan of using real historical figures like Abraham Lincoln in fiction stories, but this movie worked.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:42 pm

I just saw a paperback book based on the movie at a store. So let's see... the story goes from comic book to movie back to paperback book. What's next? Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter: The Musical?

I'm still looking forward to seeing it when it comes out on disk.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Rising Dead Man » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm still looking forward to seeing it when it comes out on disk.
I'm looking forward to The Cabin in the Woods. It's coming sooooon!!! :mrgreen:
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:05 pm

Rising Dead Man wrote:I'm looking forward to The Cabin in the Woods. It's coming sooooon!!! :mrgreen:
That's where Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter lived, right? :lol:

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:27 pm

NeverMore wrote:
Rising Dead Man wrote:I'm looking forward to The Cabin in the Woods. It's coming sooooon!!! :mrgreen:
That's where Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter lived, right? :lol:

In a log one yes. I wonder how that turned him into a badass?
~Nicholas Gordon

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Ummm... that was pre toilet paper. Wouldn't that make you grouchy?

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:35 pm

And going in a smelly outhouse and a smelly chamber pot. :x
~Nicholas Gordon

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Anyone who lived on a farm back in those days had to be tough and strong, just so they could get through their daily chores. This was before tractors, before cars, before a lot of the agricultural equipment thar farmers use to plant and harvest. All that work was done with hand tools from sun up to sun down. That would make anyone as strong as an ox. Even the women, back then, routinely carried 200 pound loads of grain or what ever on their backs at harvest time, and often it was the woman who actualy pulled the plow while the man stood on it so it would dig into the ground.

Farming is still a rather tough and rugged life, but in the 19th century, it was very labor intensive physicaly.

VanHelsingStandIn
Master Reaper

Post by VanHelsingStandIn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm waiting for the next book. Truman Capote: Zombie Slayer!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:10 am

:D :D :D :D

I heard today there's a new book coming out, gonna be called 'Monika Lewinski: President Slayer'.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:17 am

Narf Narf, NeverMore. I could say something, but not on this wholesome and family friendly web site.

Trueman Capote????? He IS a zomby. Ever see the movie about him?? He's like that character on "Laverne & Shirley" Squiggly, I think his name was. For all it's worth he was a GREAT writer. I read "In Cold Blood" twice when I was in college and both times I couldn't put it down.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:30 am

Truman Capote was quite a character. Oddly, though you'd never believe it of him, I read that he did actually beat a guy up once, outside a restaurant, when he was young.

I didn't know until a few months ago that he was a neighbor of Harper Lee's, who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird. He was the model for the little boy in that novel that Scout hangs out with, not her brother, of course, but the other little boy.

I believe it was Philip Seymour Hoffman who won the Oscar for portraying Capote in the movie about him a few years ago. I didn't see the movie, but I saw scenes of it and was stunned by how well Hoffman had captured that eccentric character.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:Truman Capote was quite a character. Oddly, though you'd never believe it of him, I read that he did actually beat a guy up once, outside a restaurant, when he was young.

I didn't know until a few months ago that he was a neighbor of Harper Lee's, who wrote To Kill a Mockingbird. He was the model for the little boy in that novel that Scout hangs out with, not her brother, of course, but the other little boy.

I believe it was Philip Seymour Hoffman who won the Oscar for portraying Capote in the movie about him a few years ago. I didn't see the movie, but I saw scenes of it and was stunned by how well Hoffman had captured that eccentric character.
DILL!!! I love To Kill A Mockingbird :)

I think Catherine Keener played Harper Lee in that movie that you're referring to.