Boot Hill: Tombstone, AZ (Photos)

What are your favorite Haunted Places?
jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Boot Hill: Tombstone, AZ (Photos)

Post by jadewik » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:28 am

Never try to write posts when you're tired... or if it's past your bedtime. I had a twitchy finger and instead of doing control+t to open a new browser tab... I pressed the R.... so if this sounds a bit convoluted, it's because I'm trying to remember what I wrote the first time around.... before I refreshed the screen. *headdesk*

I decided to do another Tombstone thread-- this one to specialize on Boot Hill, the infamous gunslinger graveyard. I do have more photos than what I've posted, but I don't have much time to post more than that. Also, not all the graves in the cemetery are marked... so I can't capture EVERY grave. Many returned to a more natural state prior to the graveyard becoming popular. Images have been sized down for better posting on the internet.

These photos are from Saturday, March 21, 2009. They were taken at approximately 5:15-5:30 pm. Unfortunately, I arrived that late in Tombstone, so it's sunset. Fifteen minutes was also all the time I had to spend in the graveyard. Though, it is free to visit-- you CAN buy a $2 booklet with more detailed information about the graves.

Even more unfortunate than my lack of time in the cemetery is the fact that all the graves face east-- that's religiously significant, the belief that you'll be resurrected when Christ comes again and you'll rise to meet him in the east... something to that effect anyway. Why are east facing graves unfortunate? Because it was near sunset and I'm taking photos looking into the sun. This resulted in some lens flare in some of the photos-- that red or blinding white hue, generally in a circular pattern... so if you're thinking a red-laser ghost posed for my photo... think again. =)

Anyway, to the photos!

Below: Clanton and McLaury graves on the left. This shot looks towards the NW and across Boot Hill from near the SE corner of the cemetery.

Below: Marshal White. Killed by Curly Bill.

Below: Two Chinamen Died of Leprosy. (Chinese are buried in the NW side of the graveyard)

Below: Six Shooter Jim Shot by Burt Alvord '85

Below: The Brady Brothers. Two small boys who drowned.

Below: John Blair Died of Smallpox. Cowboy threw rope over feet and dragged him to his grave.

Below: William Grounds. Died of Wounds. (He was shot in the face)

Below: Here Lies George Johnson Hanged by Mistake 1882. He was right and we was wrong BUT we strung him up and now he's gone.

Below: Can't post photos without Lester Moore. Here Lies Lester Moore. Four Slugs from a 44. No Les. No More.

Below: Margarita stabbed by Gold Dollar (in the BirdCage Theater) As the story goes, Gold Dollar caught Margarita sitting on the lap of a poker player named Billy Milgreen who was also the boyfriend of Gold Dollar. In a jealous rage, Gold Dollar stabbed Margarita in the chest, killing her.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Boot Hill: Tombstone, AZ (Photos)

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Honestly I think that our culture would benefit from a fresh revival of gallows humor.

Nice pix!
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

litemareb4xmas
Crypt Keeper

Post by litemareb4xmas » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:17 am

Love the graveyard pic's, I was born and raised in Prescott, Az and never made it to tombstone, did however make it to Wyatt Earp and Doc Holidays grave.

OctoberChill
Halloween Master

Post by OctoberChill » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:28 pm

Great pics as usual jadewik.

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:05 pm

Thanks, all! Nice to hear even a "OoOh. Neat" when I post photos. It makes me want to post MORE! Muahaha!
Andybev01 wrote:Honestly I think that our culture would benefit from a fresh revival of gallows humor.

Nice pix!
I completely agree. After this last visit, I have decided I want my cause of death written somewhere, somehow on my headstone. Hehe.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:58 pm

Or have several markers and set up your burial as a treasure hunt of sorts.

Of course that be cost prohibitive, but if you could afford it, what a hoot!
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.