Political correctness gone crazy

News about Halloween from all over world...
NeverMore
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Political correctness gone crazy

Post by NeverMore » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:06 am

The New York City Department of Education wants to ban the word Halloween, amongst others, from standardized tests.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/03/26/ ... zed-tests/

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Political correctness gone crazy

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:16 am

I think I heard about this yesterday on the radio. They also want to ban words like birthday (because some religious group doesn't celebrate them), dinosaur (because hard-core creationists don't believe in them, evidently), etc. The whole thing sounded so absurd to me that I actually wondered if it were intentionally absurd. Sort of like, "OK, you don't want us talking about this, that or the other? Let's show you just how silly that conversation would be."

When I skimmed the article on your link, it mentioned that the word "poverty" is also forbidden. Say what? We can't talk about poverty in school anymore? This just sounds like satire to me.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:43 am

This is outrageously stupid. One of the parents made a astute and logical statement when she said that she wanted her daughter to learn about other holidays and such because she's going to be going through life with people from all kinds of different backgrounds. And then she said something that really all the crazies need to hear and understand: "she's just going to have to learn to adjust".

I don't understand how any of the banned words could possibly be upsetting. I was under the impression that the younger generations were desensitized because they have seen and heard it all :? Banning words or books or anything for that matter does nothing to broaden the mind and the people who thought this would be a good idea should be embarrassed.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:50 am

Pumpkin56 wrote:
I don't understand how any of the banned words could possibly be upsetting. I was under the impression that the younger generations were desensitized because they have seen and heard it all :? Banning words or books or anything for that matter does nothing to broaden the mind and the people who thought this would be a good idea should be embarrassed.
I agree with you 100%. The absurdity of it is why I seriously wondered if it could perhaps have been done deliberately to underscore how stupid this whole trend is. If a person wished to satirize political correctness, he might do something like this.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:05 am

Murfreesboro wrote:
Pumpkin56 wrote:
I agree with you 100%. The absurdity of it is why I seriously wondered if it could perhaps have been done deliberately to underscore how stupid this whole trend is. If a person wished to satirize political correctness, he might do something like this.
I hope it's just someone who is trying to satirize political correctness. I mean, come on. How is 'house with swimming pool' going to offend or upset a kid? Unless seeing the word pool makes them upset that they're in class taking some dumb test instead of taking a swim :lol:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:35 am

:lol:

The Duchess
Haunt Master

Post by The Duchess » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:59 am

I was at a party one time and a person came up to me and asked me what I though of political correctness.

I answered: "In regards to that the two persons I admired the most were "Give Em Hell Harry Truman and "Blood and Guts" Patton.

The person simply walked away!

By null at 2012-03-10

The Duchess
CHEERS! HAVE A GREAT DAY! FROM THE GUY IN A DRESS

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:03 am

:lol: I would have loved to see that person's face!

I think there's a time and place for everything. Anyone with any tact should be able to know when to be pc and when it's okay not to be.

The Duchess
Haunt Master

Post by The Duchess » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:09 am

I am always politically correct at the office. I don't want to lose my job.

What I am doing in the picture would be politically incorrect in a room full of people!

Lol!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Duchess
CHEERS! HAVE A GREAT DAY! FROM THE GUY IN A DRESS

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:15 am

The Duchess wrote:I am always politically correct at the office. I don't want to lose my job.

What I am doing in the picture would be politically incorrect in a room full of people!

Lol!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Duchess
See?! Time and place for everything :lol:

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Rising Dead Man » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Welcome to the world of pussies.
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Boogeyman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Boogeyman » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:03 pm

Pumpkin56 wrote:
Murfreesboro wrote:
Pumpkin56 wrote:
I hope it's just someone who is trying to satirize political correctness. I mean, come on. How is 'house with swimming pool' going to offend or upset a kid? Unless seeing the word pool makes them upset that they're in class taking some dumb test instead of taking a swim :lol:
Keep in mind, this is New York. I am sure they are quite serious. It all about government control. Education is part of the government, remember. Most people have no clue how many rights are being lost every day. Think about the banning of lemonade stands. Why does that happen? It is all about teaching kids early that they have to go to the government first for everything.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:27 pm

I weep for the future of my country. I'm hopping on the first train to Mars when they colonize it.

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:37 am

Boogeyman wrote:
Pumpkin56 wrote: I hope it's just someone who is trying to satirize political correctness. I mean, come on. How is 'house with swimming pool' going to offend or upset a kid? Unless seeing the word pool makes them upset that they're in class taking some dumb test instead of taking a swim :lol:
Keep in mind, this is New York. I am sure they are quite serious. It all about government control. Education is part of the government, remember. Most people have no clue how many rights are being lost every day. Think about the banning of lemonade stands. Why does that happen? It is all about teaching kids early that they have to go to the government first for everything.
[/quote]

Are you from New York?

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:01 am

I'm sure there would be some people in NYC clever enough to satirize political correctness in this way. The real question is, Are those people in the Department of Education there? Alas, probably not.