Lawmaker wants to change date of Halloween!

News about Halloween from all over world...
HalloweenDot
Site Admin
What is the highest number?: 10992

Lawmaker wants to change date of Halloween!

Post by HalloweenDot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:42 pm

Connecticut legislator would prefer the state to recognize the holiday on a weekend, even if it means not celebrating on the 31st. A recent proposal by Conn. State Rep. Tim Larson pitched the idea of celebrating Halloween on the last weekend of October rather than the holiday’s traditional Oct. 31 date. Larson (D-East Hartford, South Windsor) ...
read more:
http://connecticut.cbslocal.com/2011/10 ... -saturday/
Halloween.com since 1994 - Chris

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Re: Lawmaker wants to change date of Halloween!

Post by Spookymufu » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:20 pm

I dont think it would be bad to celebrate Halloween on the Sat before Halloween
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Regardless, for me it's the 31st.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:35 pm

Andybev01 wrote:Regardless, for me it's the 31st.
I've been celebrating on the Saturday before the 31st for at least 20 years. The 31st should always remain trick-or-treat day though, it makes those occasions where it drops on Friday or Saturday all that more special. Anyways, does this county really need to pass any more laws restricting her citizen's activities?

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:21 am

I understand the lawmaker's rationale, but I seriously don't want to see anyone mess with Halloween. The truth is, most Depts. of Parks & Recreation already celebrate on the closest Saturday. I know ours will again this year, as usual. So in a way this proposal would be taking away from Halloween rather than adding to it. Declaring Halloween to be "officially" on the weekend would mean that TOT would be on the weekend, regardless of date. That's all it can mean. It is the only significant way to change what is already going on. This guy and the parents with whom he has spoken are wanting to declare TOT officially on the weekend.

I just love Halloween on the 31rst. It will always be the 31rst to me. I have never even liked the several times in my life when a Sunday Halloween has been switched to Saturday TOT.

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Andybev01 wrote:Regardless, for me it's the 31st.

I'm with Andy. :wink:

ramaries69
Halloween Master

Post by ramaries69 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:20 pm

Well put, Murf!

Nick Nefarious
Master Reaper

Post by Nick Nefarious » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:23 pm

It's unfortunate that in other countries, the workweek takes a back-seat to holidays, but here in the States, holidays take a back-seat to the workweek. In my opinion, we've got this one twisted.

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:38 am

I've been enjoying NOT having Halloween on a weekend. Fewer kids are bussed into the neighborhood, I don't run out of candy (and I spend upwards of $120 on it already)-- LOVE my "leftovers", and the kids quit coming earlier in the evening! Sounds like it's a win to leave it as-is... then again, I'm across the country from CT...

Pumpkin56
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin56 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:33 pm

jadewik wrote:I've been enjoying NOT having Halloween on a weekend. Fewer kids are bussed into the neighborhood, I don't run out of candy (and I spend upwards of $120 on it already)-- LOVE my "leftovers", and the kids quit coming earlier in the evening! Sounds like it's a win to leave it as-is... then again, I'm across the country from CT...
Also kinda sounds like you hate TOTer's. Do you have a lot of "Get off my lawn!" moments when Halloween falls on a weekend, Jade? :lol:

HalloweenDot
Site Admin

Post by HalloweenDot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:59 pm

2014 is a Friday :-) 2015 is Saturday...so a bit longer to wait until it is a weekend. ;-)
Halloween.com since 1994 - Chris

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:28 pm

Pumpkin56 wrote:Also kinda sounds like you hate TOTer's. Do you have a lot of "Get off my lawn!" moments when Halloween falls on a weekend, Jade? :lol:
I don't have a lawn-- just dirt and rocks. We also usually don't have issues with kids cutting the yard because we usually open the garage. Last year, we didn't open the garage-- but we did have a friend volunteer to scare the pants off kids who would cut through the yard-- it was more for safety reasons since there's a rip-rap lined trapezoidal drainage channel with steep slopes near where they cut through my yard. =)

I don't hate kids or ToTers. I hate when people who are bussed into the neighborhood come to my house +7 times over a period of 1-1.5 hours to take candy that was intended for the kids in my neighborhood. It is SAD is when I have to turn away kids from my neighborhood because I've run out of candy after only an hour and a half of trick-or-treaters-- mind you, I have about 4-6 bags of the costco candy and it's gone in an hour and a half when Halloween is on a weekend. By not having Halloween on a weekend, I'm able to give more candy to the kids who actually live in the neighborhood. I don't know how that sounds like I HATE ToTers-- especially considering all the other things I've given out in the past, ranging from glow-bracelets, temp. tattoos, pencils, bracelets, bouncing balls, gliders, playing cards, play-doh, and chocolate (to name a few). My husband and I have decided to "open late" when Halloween next falls on a weekend... since most of the re-peat bussed-in kids leave by 7pm, when all the other houses run out of candy.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:08 pm

If you know the kids in your neighborhood by sight, can you hold back some candy for them? That way, perhaps you'd run out for the interlopers, but not for the ones you know and want to treat.

zoltan hound dracula
Halloween Master

Post by zoltan hound dracula » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:25 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:If you know the kids in your neighborhood by sight, can you hold back some candy for them? That way, perhaps you'd run out for the interlopers, but not for the ones you know and want to treat.
MURF,THATS WHAT I DO,I MAKE UP SPECIAL BAGS FOR THE KIDS I KNOW,SO I KNOW THEY ALWAYS GET,ALSO THE KIDS I KNOW ALWAYS COME IN AND BOBBLE FOR APPLES,LOL :lol: ,ALSO ON THE DAY OF HALOWEEN 31ST WILL ALWAYS BE WHEN I CELEBRATE HALLOWEEN,"WHY FIX SOMETHING THAT ISN"T BROKEN"

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:16 pm

I think they should change the date of Halloween... to the last day of every month!