Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Creepy Graveyards

Post by NeverMore » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:07 am

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:12 pm

By far, the creepiest grave yard I have ever been to was Bachelors Grove in the Chicago area. They even had to close down part of the Midlothian Turnpike because of some of the happenings in that area.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:00 am

You guys want to see some awesome pics of tombstones and memorials? Check out this board...

http://pinterest.com/myowneulogy/cemete ... s-burials/

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:21 am

Pumpkin_Man wrote: By far, the creepiest grave yard I have ever been to was Bachelors Grove in the Chicago area. They even had to close down part of the Midlothian Turnpike because of some of the happenings in that area.

Mike
That place is featured in a DVD I have, Haunted History of Chicago.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:54 pm

NeverMore, those are some really awesome pictures. I would love to visit some of those places in person.

Murf, I think I have a "Haunted History of Chicago" DVD burried some place in my collection, and it also talks about Resurection Mary and other haunts besides Bachelor's Grove, but Bachelor's Grove holds a special place in my heart because it was where I made my very first 'haunted road trip' way back when I was a senior in high school, and it's the place of lots of legends that go beyone on what's featured on that DVD. Stories abound about Bachelors Grove. There are stories about farmers riding their plows out of the pond, stories of satan and devil worship and human sacrofice. Stories of murders in the forrest preserves surrounding the cemetery. It was rumored that the pond was a dumping place for Al Capone's tub-out victims, and the list goes on and on. Even the most skeptical among us will be creeped out when visiting Bachelors Grove.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:54 am

We have a large Civil War battlefield on the edge of town, where the Battle of Stones River occurred on New Year's Eve & New Year's Day of 1862-63. There are tons of ghost stories about that place, including a headless horseman story, and my husband knows all of them, because he worked out at the battlefield when he was a teenager.

There is also a graveyard adjacent to the battlefield, where Union soldiers are buried (because it is a US cemetery, the Confederates had to be buried elsewhere). There are some Rebels buried in another graveyard in the center of town, and a Confederate flag always flies over that section of the cemetery. And there is an even older cemetery in the very oldest part of town. There are certainly ghost stories connected with that one, as well as tales of witchcraft. I heard some of them when I took a local ghost tour a few years ago.

Out at the battlefield, during the warm months, you can take a Hallowed Ground tour of the Union cemetery at twilight. It is lamp-lit, and the park rangers are dressed in period dress. They guide you through the cemetery and read letters from the people who are buried there, or letters that were written to them. One person guides you, and there are others waiting near the graves, who appear and read the letters. It is not meant to be scary, more reverent, but it is eerie and really brings that period of time home to you.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Murf, that sounds like a fantastic place for a 'haunted road trip.' Battle fields, like abandoned places of incarceration, are also known for paranormal activity, because they too, were places of great suffering and death.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:42 am

We have a number of antebellum homes open for tours in this area, also. Not all of them are in Murfreesboro, but they are easy driving distance from here, in neighboring towns. Some of them also have ghost stories affiliated with them.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:08 pm

Murf, I hope you will forgive my ignorance, but I never heard the term "antebellum" before. Could you tell me what an "antebellum home" is?

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Frankly Murfreesboro, I don't give a damn. :mrgreen:

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:02 pm

Pumpkin_Man wrote: Murf, I hope you will forgive my ignorance, but I never heard the term "antebellum" before. Could you tell me what an "antebellum home" is?

Mike
Ah, you are not a Southerner, Mike! :D

"Antebellum" comes from two Latin words, "ante," meaning "before," and "bellum," meaning "war" (related words are bellicose & belligerent). So "Antebellum" means "Before the war." And in the South, there is only one war, you know. :wink:

All those Tara-esque, white-columned mansions you see in the South are antebellum.

Nevermore, :P :lol: