When do you put out decorations?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
anrae79
Ghost

When do you put out decorations?

Post by anrae79 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm curious as to know when everyone puts out their Holloween decorations? I've heard some people say, after Labor Day, others when the first day of Fall comes (Sept. 22nd) and I've also heard October 1st. Just a poll...when do you put your Halloween or Fall decorations outside?

Thanks,

Ani

Frankenstein
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: When do you put out decorations?

Post by Frankenstein » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:26 pm

I usually start getting things out the second weekend in September so I am almost there. If I had my way, I would be putting things up right now.
Double, double, toil and trouble....

HalloweenMelanie
Master Reaper

Post by HalloweenMelanie » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:22 pm

I manage to sneak at least something in by September 1. However, because my husband is kind of embarrassed by how all-out I go, I start out with more "autumnal" than scary decorations in September.

Right now I have a sunflowers and fabric autumn leaves decoration on my front door, and a single sunflower and another bunch of autumn leaves on my mailbox. :)

Snoopy/Red Baron
Crypt Keeper

Post by Snoopy/Red Baron » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:40 am

I've had stuff out since the beginning of August. I try to make the season last as long as possible. People think its weird, but I think its weird that they would rather have another average day instead of a Halloween/Autumn-flavored day.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:51 am

I like your thinking, SnoopyRB :D
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Fezzek
Zombie

Post by Fezzek » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:28 pm

My countdown clock http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo35 ... ff/097.jpg (fuzzy pic- sorry!) is already on my porch and the fall decor will start appearing in a week or two. The scary stuff comes out in the middle of the night around the 1st of October and has become a bit of a game between the neighbors of who can catch us in the act of setting everything up. We do a fairly large display and the spooky stuff stays until the day after Halloween. Just as sneaky as it went up it comes back down and then the fall / pumpkin patch sticks around until thanksgiving.
You can Keep your happy little elves, fat guys in red suits, and little spring rabbits. It's HALLOWEEN all the way for me!

Morticia
Haunt Master

Post by Morticia » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:28 pm

Melanie you and me both. I just take out my candles in late Sept., but don't do anything outside until the day of Halloween lest it get stolen.
Be afraid....be very afraid!

shanda
Halloween Master

Post by shanda » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:17 pm

By the middle of September my the inside of my house could be the setting for a Rob Zombie film! I do hold off on the outside until the 1st of October. Only because my kids dont want the entire town to think we are the Munsters. Even though I think I am :D
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright,
Oggie Boogie

Haunter
Crypt Keeper

Post by Haunter » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:55 pm

Believe it or not, my girlfriend put out decorations the first week of August. Halloween is what you make of it. The Halloween season tends to fly by so we start early as it gets us excited when October rolls around.
All alone in the woods with nothing but the smell of smoke from the camp fire, cracking leaves as you walk and seeing your breath from the cold crisp air. Halloween is my favorite time of the year!

ilovemichaelmyers
Halloween Master

Post by ilovemichaelmyers » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:00 pm

I think that I' going to start now. I'm in the process of making "tombstones" out of cardboard and putting them in my yard. I also am going to make luminaries to line my walkway. These are very simple and frugal way to decorate for Halloween. I'm going to also make little ghosties out of tissue and hang them from the trees. It wll be fun since I have three of my older kids to help! : )
The Night HE Came Home

OctoberChill
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by OctoberChill » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:43 am

I usually start on September 1st. That's the date my wife allows me to start decorating :) That gives me two full months of Halloween. Unfortunately it's still in the 90's through September here so that kind of messes with the mood a little bit. It's hard to have fall/Halloween stuff up when it still feels like summer. It's kind of depressing...

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:01 pm

That skeleton/pumpkin thing I have was just sitting in my room. But now it is sitting on a table in the living room. Thats it for me right now.
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Pumpkin King
Haunt Master

Post by Pumpkin King » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:35 pm

We usually put ours out 2 nights before Halloween. We try to avoid putting our decorations outside when there's a rain storm on the way. October is usually the beginning of rain season over here. But Halloween always manages to stay dry.

NKPSgirl15
Ghost

Post by NKPSgirl15 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:51 pm

I know this is a little crazy but me and my other half are crazy about halloween and we have had our stuff out since the second week of august. I know i know thats way to early for some but i see it as when they start to put the stuff out in the stores i know its time to DECORATE!!!
Fillet of a fenny snake In the caldron boil and bake
Eye of newt and toe of frog Wool of bat and tongue of dog
Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting Lizard's leg and owlet's wing
For a charm of powerful trouble Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

StormyRose
Ghost

Post by StormyRose » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:23 pm

I usually put ours up the first Friday of October (or if the 1st Friday is later in the week, I'll do it the last Friday of September). I don't think my dh would be happy with anything earlier! He does put up with me and I put up with his Christmas stuff!