Snow Before Halloween

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: Snow Before Halloween

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Chang, I don't actualy live in Chicago any more, I live in Dwight Illinois, about 50 or so miles south of Chicago. I use to live in Chicago. I grew up on 111th and Polaski, in the neighborhood where the very last working farm within the Chicago city limits resided and probably still resides. I have posted many a fond memory of that neighborhood, but I no longer actualy live there.

Mike

writerpatrick
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by writerpatrick » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:29 am

I can remember snow before Halloween but nothing serious enough to cause any problems. Usually the problem is the cold. Although with the weather this year it could have a big impact. It's suppose to rain on Halloween which will likely reduce the number of ToTers.

We'll have to see if the storm cancels Halloween for those in NY. I guess it's a matter of how badly damaged the infrastructure is. If people don't have power then it may not be considered safe to let the kids around.

And usually the biggest damage before Halloween is from Hell Night.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:48 am

They have Hell Night in New York? I allways thought that 'tradition' was peculiar only to Detroit.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:38 am

Big_Guh wrote:
It's a small world. I'm actually in Charlottesville, which as you know, is smack dab between Staunton and Richmond. Charlottesville has grown VERY rapidly over the last 10-20 years, and with such growth, inevitably comes heavier traffic. Heavier traffic = more roads, more roads = a greater volume of grimy snow pushed to roadsides. Not to mention all of the salt on the roads (which is terrible for your car).

I'll be in your neck of the woods the weekend before Thanksgiving as I'm traveling to Franklin, TN to visit with friends. While you may not receive the snowfall you'd like, your area is awesome. I love the greater Nashville area.

A couple of years ago, to clear parking lots around one of our major shopping centers, plows pushed all of the snow into one, large, dirty, gritty mountain. While gradually diminishing in size, the gargantuan snow pile persisted and survived until darn near early May. It came to be known as "Chipotle Mountain" as it was adjacent to a Chipotle restaurant, and pretty much eclipsed the establishment when looking in from the highway.

Back to Halloween; while a white Halloween doesn't sound appealing, I sure as heck would take that over a hurricane slammed Halloween. If we're getting the winds of 55 MPH plus that they're talking about, we surely won't have power. Suddenly, Jack O Laterns are even MORE invaluable!

On the other hand, a Halloween night spent in flickering candle light, with spooky winds will surely have a memorable, eerie vibe...You've got to work with what you've got, I guess...
Small world indeed! I have been to Charlottesville a number of times during my VA era. I used to love to take visitors over to Monticello. That ride over Afton Mountain was always memorable.

The Valley was always gorgeous in the fall. We can have pretty falls around here, too, but I think those up in VA were usually more spectacular. And there was this one street in Staunton, Sherwood Avenue, that did Halloween up to the nines. Nowadays we have at least two streets like that in Murfreesboro, Main Street, and Grantland Avenue. I think Sherwood Avenue was the first one I ever saw like that, though--you know, the kind of street where every house vies with every other house to see which one can decorate more lavishly.

If you are driving to Franklin from VA, you will likely pass north of Murfreesboro, as we are south of I-40. Franklin is about 30 miles west of us. It is a very picturesque town, with a 19th-century downtown that they use to great advantage during holidays. I missed their annual pumpkin festival this past Saturday but may try to make their Dickens Festival in December. Franklin is in Williamson County, the wealthiest county in TN. Many of those who live there actually work in Nashville.

I hope the storm doesn't obliterate your Halloween holiday this week, but if you lose power, enjoy your jack-o-lanterns!

Li H'Sen Chang
Halloween Master

Post by Li H'Sen Chang » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:18 am

Well I will have Halloween on Wednesday and there is no forecast of snow then on Friday I go to Las Vegas where there is hardly ever snow.
我想念我的家

Demonic Duck
Halloween Master

Post by Demonic Duck » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:30 am

Mike "Hell Night" is popular in many areas though it goes by different areas. I've heard it referred to as Hell Night Mischief Night or Goosey Night(the term used by my area). Though with Sandy aka Frankenstorm currently underway I'm not sure we have to worry about it this year. Due to all the gale force winds I had to take all my outdoor deocorations in so they didn't blow away/get damaged. It was very sad. Hopefully everyone on East is safe.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:52 am

Demonic Duck, I certainly hope everyone in your area and you are safe, too. Right now, it appears that Sandy is right at the Indiana / Illinois boarder. Not good. Illinois has never experience a huricane before, and I imagine if it actualy does hit us, it will be a major disaster complete with casualties.

Mike

Big_Guh
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Big_Guh » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Demonic Duck,

It may be a few days before you receive this message, but I sincerely hope you and yours are safe, high, and dry. Hopefully, you live far enough inland that you all didn't sustain significant damages. I'm sure more pressing concerns are on your mind, but I hope you all still find some enjoyment this week, even if you have to celebrate the Big Day a few days late. Hang in there, my friend!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Hope you made it through alright DD. At the very least you know those Jersey Shore people are no longer befouling your state.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:51 pm

no no no no!

We need those "Jersey Shore" idiots to remain all in one place so we can keep an eye on them
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Demonic Duck
Halloween Master

Post by Demonic Duck » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:07 pm

Thanks Nevermore. Other than loosing power for a few days my family and friends made it through unscathed. Halloween ended up being canceled(first postponed till monday and then canceled alltogether due to unsafe conditions). There were still downed trees and wires. I hear my inlaws shore house survived. As for the Jersey Shore folk well their house survived as well so whenever people are allowed back I'm sure they'll return hair gel and all. You're not allowed onto that island without a special permit and have to sign in and out. Its going to a long road for that area. It is dangerous there now since a lot of sand has shifted which could cause roads to cave in and such.

Demonic Duck
Halloween Master

Post by Demonic Duck » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:17 pm

I actually just got word that my Father-inlaw got permission to go down to his shore house on Saturday and his wife and mine can't go so I'm going down with him. I know I'm not allowed to wander around a lot for safety reasons but I'll try to get as many first hand pics as I can and post them for you to see.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:30 am

Hope you find things not too badly damaged. Hope everything gets back to normal soon!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:31 pm

I know it's a long ways since last Halloween and a long way to next Halloween, but yesterday we had ourselvs a raging blizzard which lasted for about 5 minutes. It all melted when it hit the ground, so luckily I won't have to do any shoveling, but it also got pretty cold.

I can't wait til Spring.

Mike

Demonic Duck
Halloween Master

Post by Demonic Duck » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:04 am

I am tired as well of the snow we got some last week. I shoveled my driveway once and my backyard a few times for my daschund who would have been under the snow otherwise. Fortunetly the next day it was 50 degrees and it all melted. Now it seems to be low 30s in the morning and low 50s in the afternoon.