Shortage of "Halloween" friends?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Shortage of "Halloween" friends?

Post by Andybev01 » Tue May 06, 2008 4:55 pm

HalloweenMelanie wrote:Hah, I tell everyone this is why I keep having children. :lol: ETA: There are 17 years between my youngest and middle child...I swear I was bribing my oldest son by age 13 or 14 to keep trick-or-treating with me, LOL. Poor tortured kid. But being outside at night time is one of the best parts of Halloween! Running around the neighborhood spooking each other...it's dark...it's chilly...somehow that never gets old.

I'm lucky. My DH loves fantasy, plays online games (LOTR, EQ, Dark Age), watches my LOTR movies with me repeatedly...the one thing he probably doesn't share as much with me is Halloween. We try to do RenFest every year. The only thing that's stopped us so far has been my being too pregnant (back east, RenFest was in August/Sept. and I delivered in July and had a long healing period). We also did my dorky stuff like Oktoberfest, which we all enjoyed. This year there's a huge farm I hope we can go to which does a lot of seasonal stuff--somewhat rare around here. And one of these days we're going to leave the kids with Grandma and do Knotts Berry Farm's Halloween haunted hayride.

I do find that most "grown-ups" don't like Halloween as much, and certainly out here (in southern California) they don't in general make as big a deal of it. I mean they don't decorate as early and nowhere near as many people decorate at all. They're very friendly and we can trick-or-treat at virtually any house in our neighborhood, but it's not really a "seasonal" celebration here because, well, it isn't really a season.

Pride yourself on being the person who really knows how to break out and have fun and how to keep the magic alive. People may not seem to notice, but I'll bet they drive past your decorated house and have a million wonderful memories and are awed and just love it. People do a lot of good in this world. Scientists work toward cures and vaccines, doctors heal, teachers teach, workers in an office lift up their companies, parents parent, but we need magic, too. A little touch of it here and there to remember that life is not all work and no play. So, hurrah for the "fun people". Keep celebrating in your way and keep having this great time to look forward to every year.

I enjoy being the "fun keeper" but I do often long for a really great girlfriend who would love to do the things I love to do. But I have to think people who go this nuts on one holiday or one season are somewhat more a minority. C'est la vie~!
Melanie Melanie Melanie...you're too much!

I live in Nor Cal and there are at least 3 seasons up here as you might know, summer fall and...summer!

I think I get my passion for the season from my huge family. Hands down Autumn in general is all of their favorite.

It helps that our parents were married on October 31st too. :wink:
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

HalloweenMelanie
Master Reaper

Post by HalloweenMelanie » Tue May 06, 2008 11:25 pm

Andybev01 wrote: Melanie Melanie Melanie...you're too much!

I live in Nor Cal and there are at least 3 seasons up here as you might know, summer fall and...summer!

I think I get my passion for the season from my huge family. Hands down Autumn in general is all of their favorite.

I really need to get up to NorCal and see, you know, real trees and stuff again. :P Everyone tells me how much I'll love this or that and seriously, it's ALWAYS in NorCal.

Your parents were married on Halloween??? Oh that is the coolest!

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Wed May 07, 2008 12:50 pm

HalloweenMelanie wrote:
Andybev01 wrote: Melanie Melanie Melanie...you're too much!

I really need to get up to NorCal and see, you know, real trees and stuff again. :P Everyone tells me how much I'll love this or that and seriously, it's ALWAYS in NorCal.

Your parents were married on Halloween??? Oh that is the coolest!
besides the pumpkin happeneings on the coast each year there is the Winchester House to visit (cool at least once in your life) and the ghost tours of SanFrancisco, I could go on but you can Google it all.

I have never been south of Big Sur and I'm told I should to get an appreciation of where I live :?
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.