Allow me to flaunt my collection of Halloween LP's . . .

Discussion of general Halloween topics
thislazylife
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Allow me to flaunt my collection of Halloween LP's . . .

Post by thislazylife » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:26 am

So, yeah, I know I said I was back before and then I disappeared all over again, but I'm really starting to feel Halloween this year (finally) and I'm excited. So I think I'm REALLY back this time.

It's really been feeling like fall here in the Pacific Northwest. The air is crisp and the leaves are turning brown. The days are getting shorter and the smell of burning wood lingers on the air. To celebrate, I thought I'd share my Halloween record collection with all my fellow Halloweenists. I bet some of you had one or more of these as kids; some of you might even have them still, gathering dust in the attic or a forgotten closet.

Sorry for the low quality pics. As you can see my camera blows. Happy Halloween!

[/img]
Laurie stares at the station wagon as it moves past. She looks directly at The Shape inside. There is a quick glimpse of him, a strange pale face staring back.

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Sun Sep 23, 2007 5:28 am

Guess my camera's not so bad after all.
Laurie stares at the station wagon as it moves past. She looks directly at The Shape inside. There is a quick glimpse of him, a strange pale face staring back.

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:10 am

Aha! You even have the Japanese "Spacesizer 360 System" version of the Halloween soundtrack! Those are very rare. And some vintage exotica in there too...bongos aplenty I bet!

Halloween LP records are among my 3 or 4...okay, six or seven favoritest things in the world! I love the cover art, heck, I love the clicks and pops.

I used to see that "Monster Mash" record with the Dracula illustration in the Fedco stores wayyyyy back in the day. Never had it though. I did have "Sounds to Make You Shiver" and that's a classic. I lost my copy, but then later grabbed a fresh one off Ebay and it was like old times again.

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:29 am

VERY NICE. Very Nice indeed! :D
Because once you cross that bridge, my friend, the ghost is through, his power ends.

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:58 am

Wow. First of all, the Ghost Stories for Young People by Alfred Hitchcock is kind of creepy for many reasons. The Haunted Mansion record looks great, notice the Hatbox Ghost front and center on the cover! And the Donald Duck Trick or Treat record is from one of my favorite Disney shorts of the same name. Carl Barks, who was a master comic book story teller for Disney, produced that short.

Great collection!

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:30 am

By golly, yes, that is the Hatbox Ghost! With each beat of his bride's heart, his head disappeared from his body! And appeared...in the HAT BOX.

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:55 pm

Funny thing about that Haunted Mansion record, my sister gave it to me for Christmas a few years back. I had never seen it - only the all-too-common "Chilling Thrilling Sounds of the Haunted Mansion" - so I asked her where she found. She said she got it in eBay and paid $106 for it. Damn. About a year later I was digging through a record store in Portland, Or. and found a copy in very good condition for $1.50. So now I have 2 copies. You probably can't tell from the pic, but that album is a gatefold and comes with a "magnificent full-color illustrated book". Neato!

Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Re: Allow me to flaunt my collection of Halloween LP's . . .

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:02 pm

I was rummaging through the Halloween.com cellar and dusted this one off...

I had the great Ghost Stories and the Disney Haunted Mansion LP's when I was a little haunter.

Those brought back memories!!
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:54 pm

Thislazylife, that is a very impressive collection, especialy in a day and age when phonograph records are becoming obsolete. I still have a working turn table, and I am in the process of transfering a lot of my really old and out of print LPs, 45s and 78s to CD, and maybe to my computer hard drive. Presently I am looking for a turn table that will play 78s, but I can transfer any LP or 45 single.

If you still have a working turn table, that's great. However, if you don't, and you would like to be able to hear those records again, I would be more then hapy to transfer them to CDs free of charge. Of course, I will also dub a copy for myself, but you can keep the CD Masters along with the records. Also, I don't know where you live. I am in Illinois. If you are too far away, you might want to look in to having those old records digitized at some point.

Mike

litemareb4xmas
Crypt Keeper

Post by litemareb4xmas » Tue May 05, 2009 2:46 am

Nice, all I need is a new idea of something to collect! Don't tell my wife!
I recognize so many of those, good to see em again.

thislazylife
Haunt Master

Post by thislazylife » Thu May 21, 2009 1:58 am

This is such a trip! I haven't logged on in for-friggin'-ever, and lo and behold, someone has dug through the Halloween.com crates and resurrected my old vinyl-pic post! Crazy nutty!

Mike, thanks for the offer but I got it covered. I'm a DJ/record junkie. I got turntables and use Audacity to digitize my vinyl, but I still prefer to listen to the records themselves. CD's just enable me to share my mixes with other people.

Speaking of which, I love making mix CD's with a theme. A few years ago, I made a "Haunted Halloween" mix. I actually posted the set list and sent a few Halloween.com members a copy. Anyway, I just finished a new Halloween-themed mix called "Halfway to Halloween", and thought I'd post the set list. If any Halloween.com members would like a copy, hit me up. But I warn you: I have odd taste in music. Here is the song list:

1. Ghost Town - The Specials
2. Creature With The Atom Brain - Roky Erikson
3. Devil Doll - X
4. Dead And Alive - Dead Boys
5. Minikillers I - Johnny Teupen
6. Voodoo - Richard Hayman and His Orchestra
7. Put Your Cat Clothes On - Carl Perkins
8. Voodoo Man - The Del-Vikings
9. Magic Man - Heart
10. Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult
11. Ice Cream - Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster
12. Release The Bats - The Birthday Party
13. I'm Glad My Baby's Gone - Honeymoon Killers
14. Ghost On The Highway - The Gun Club
15. Jack On Fire - Blanche
16. Vampire Radio Spot - T. Valentine
17. Soul Dracula - Hot Blood
18. Satan Takes A Holiday - Jack Malmsten
19. Vampiro - Satan's Pilgrims
20. You Must Be A Witch - The Lollipop Shoppe
21. I Was A Teenage Werewolf - The Cramps
22. The Devil - Urban Dance Squad
23. Spell of Deatra - Richard Hayman and His Orchestra
24. Murder City Nights - Radio Birdman

Of course, it is generously seasoned with several haunting intermissions between songs. As you can see, it's all over the place. This is the result of working way too long in a record store. Does anybody else have songs that remind them of Halloween? I mean, ONE song that above all others makes them think of Halloweens from their childhood? I was born in '67, therefore I was a product of 1970's Halloween, which, for those of us who can remember, was awesome! Anyway, I musta heard Heart's "Magic Man" on or near Halloween as a very young child, because it is the ONE song that, without fail, everytime I hear it, conjures images of Halloweens from years ago.
*sigh* I guess since, ultimately, I started this thread so many moons ago, it's okay if I change it:

What's your ONE song?

Sorry for the long, rambling post. I'm a bit toasted.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Thu May 21, 2009 2:20 pm

Rant away, it's pretty empty this time of year and it's good to see a fresh face once in a while!

I'm also a child of the summer of love (thank God my parents weren't hippies though. Not that there's anything wrong with that...) but my tatses run a generation previous.

Bing Crosby singing the Tale Of The Headless Horseman from the Disney cartoon Ichabod Crane, is THE song for me.

And thank you for the trip down memory lane. Those albums are a treasure.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu May 21, 2009 5:50 pm

No problem, and I agree with you about the records. Phonograph records have a unique sound that CDs just can't match. CDs can reproduce more sounds, but the record is more 3 dimensional.

Mike