On October 30th at night...

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Haunt Master

On October 30th at night...

Post by Haunt Master » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:05 pm

October 30th at night, what do you say "Halloween Eve" or "Hallow's Eve"?

What would we call it?

HalloweenMelanie
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: On October 30th at night...

Post by HalloweenMelanie » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:21 pm

It's neither...technically, there is no Halloween Eve. :) Halloween is already the eve of something. However, with the go-out-and-create mischief tradition of Oct. 30, I would call that date Mischief Night or Cabbage Night.

Haunt Master

Post by Haunt Master » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Mischief Night and Cabbage Night is something like "new" to me.
How did you know those words?

HalloweenMelanie
Master Reaper

Post by HalloweenMelanie » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:16 pm

HM, where did you grow up?

I know the names are regional so that may be why you don't know the ones I listed. I grew up in the northeast. My mother used to call it "Goosie Night," but that was from my grandmother, whose parents were from the midwest and who grew up in the 20s-30s (I don't think anyone uses that name for it any more). Some people also call it Gate Night, because kids used to go around slamming gates to give the people inside the house a scare.

autumn
Vampire

Post by autumn » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:52 pm

I live in MI and here it is called Devils Night. At least in the Metro Detroit area.

Pumpkin King
Haunt Master

Post by Pumpkin King » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:11 pm

Well growing up Halloween was always called Night of Skinwalkers by the local people that I knew. The week before Halloween was called Witch Week. Back when I was in highschool, we use to call it Sugar Overdose. These days I notice more and more people calling it Hallow's Eve. It'll always be Halloween to me!

Haunt Master

Post by Haunt Master » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:37 pm

Thanks to all of you sharing the names of the Hallow's eves here!! :D

I recalled someone called something like "Hell Nights" and "Trickers or Treaters Nights"... I do like Hallow' Eve - But I prefer HALLOWEEN (all day and night) until the pass of November 1st! ;)

Well, I love to leave all Halloween lights on all night on that day of HALLOWEEN until the morning of All Saints' Day!

Pumpkin King
Haunt Master

Post by Pumpkin King » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:50 pm

We use to leave our lights on all night until idiots started stealing and vandalising the nighbours when we all went to sleep. So me and my beauty decided we'd stay up passed 12, sometimes 1AM bringing in all the decorations. I don't know what it's like in the neighbourhood we live in now, since we moved here in April.

Haunt Master

Post by Haunt Master » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:07 am

Me too! I work as the security guard and I always work some of the night-time job at Naval Base. I don't know if I have to go work on that Halloween night or not... If I do work on job, I can check my home around 6-7 am... But if I don't work at job, then I can be always at home to secure my house until 4 or 5 am! ;)

Pumpkin King
Haunt Master

Post by Pumpkin King » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:14 am

I thought about getting laser detectors put in our old front yard. You get millions of lasers out of one machine and they scatter around your yard but nobody can see them. If someone walked through one the lasers the machine which is no bigger then a shoe would make this LOUD screeching noise. I wanted to teach the idiots to mess with my decorations! :twisted:

But my wife said no. :(

:lol:

OctoberChill
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by OctoberChill » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:06 pm

Pumpkin King wrote:I thought about getting laser detectors put in our old front yard. You get millions of lasers out of one machine and they scatter around your yard but nobody can see them. If someone walked through one the lasers the machine which is no bigger then a shoe would make this LOUD screeching noise. I wanted to teach the idiots to mess with my decorations! :twisted:

But my wife said no. :(

:lol:
That's a great idea! Turn the tables on those little jerks :twisted: It's a good way to out prank the pranksters.

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:35 pm

I may be a teenager but I do not smash pumpkins, TP houses and all that.
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

MulanLang
Ghost

Post by MulanLang » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:10 pm

I too live in Michigan and as autumn said, it's called Devil's Night and it's a pretty big deal where I'm from (mid-eastern part of the state). It was almost as prepared for and exciting as Halloween.

As kids we would go out and TP or egg our friends and/or enemies houses. One night as we were TPing a friends house his older brother and buddies ambushed us with Super Soakers and water balloons. As we got older, we stopped TPing but we did do some ambushing of the young TP/eggers in the neighborhood.

Ahh, fun memories

Over the last 5 years or so there has been quite the influx of police patrolling on Devil's Night so you really don't see too much mischief anymore.

angel222
Haunt Master

Post by angel222 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:01 pm

I would say happy hallow's eve.
hello

Hallow's Queen
Haunt Master

Post by Hallow's Queen » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:09 am

Rising Dead Man wrote:I may be a teenager but I do not smash pumpkins, TP houses and all that.
same here.
but on the hallween name issue, i either call it all hallow's eve or just halloween
H a l l o w ' s Q u e e n

Image Image