Mad as hell and don't want to take it anymore!

Discussion of general Halloween topics
uncletor
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by uncletor » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:53 am

I'm in Ontario, it's still cool...Probably easier then in some parts of Amercia...fundamentalism never caught on as badly as it did down there..and since Halloweeen is really a mixture of every culture anyway, everybody wants to get into the act, and everybody wants the American stuff everybody wants the coolest lawn display they can...I'm seeing more lawn displays then ever this year. My gal told me over the phone about two she wants me to see after work today...
I actually see it going back to the roots of the holiday in the 20's...a night for ROMANCE and MYSTERY...
Seriously.
Back then, you had MYSTERY LOVER cards you gave out...the card would say how much they dug the person you were giving it to, and it would be from a SECRET ADMIRER...and all those masks you saw in the musical PHANTOM OF THE OPERA? Based on designs from the 20's when they did the silent movie version...the Bal Masque sequence was pretty much lifted whole from the movie...the lingerie stores in town are working overtime keeping up with the demand for fishnet and corsets and saucy outfits, and we aren't even into the Rocky Horror or punk influences yet...
But THINK for a moment...folks like Wal Mart and other vendors are making a KILLING with the goodies and the inflatable lawn stuff, and the makeup, and the costumes, and the fog machines, and and and and...
Halloween is here to stay...just like Santa and Rudolph during that OTHER holiday.
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:15 pm

One Eye'd Jack wrote: Were they Itallian parents?
Never mind.
OEJ, why do you ask? My grandfather was born in Italy ( came here as a boy) and you couldn't find a bigger Halloween enthusiast. Especially for his time.
Because once you cross that bridge, my friend, the ghost is through, his power ends.

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:51 pm

One Eye'd Jack wrote:
MyersFan1 wrote: "Halloween is a for worshiping the devil"
Were they Itallian parents?....
HH - My commemt wasn't about Itallians it was about MyersFan1's typo. The placement of the 'a' after 'is' makes the line sound like it's spoken with an Itallian accent.

I meant nothing against Itallians. I love the Itallian people and the culture.

Thanks for bringing this up. Other members might not have gotten my joke and thought the same thing you thought. I hope this clears things up. :D

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:55 pm

OHHH...I see it now. I totally missed that. That's funny, it does read like an italian accent. :D Sorry for the missunderstanding.
Because once you cross that bridge, my friend, the ghost is through, his power ends.

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:56 pm

One more thing..... You know, it's rather ironic, don't you think, that a simple misunderstand like this would get brought up in this particular thread; one basically about 'intollerance' and 'sensitivity'.

Just an observation. :D

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:10 pm

"You can't-a have-a the Mango!"

WitchyWoman85
Vampire

Post by WitchyWoman85 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:00 pm

in light of this whole situation i was happy to hear that my daughters school was continuing with there "HALLOWEEN celebration" and left labled as such. And the kicker that made me smile you ask? Her school is at a lutheran church. Now if they can suck it up for the kids, why cant everyone else?
Ill get you my pretty!
And your little Dog too!!!

AutumnGypsy7
Vampire

Post by AutumnGypsy7 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:05 pm

Some people thrive on conflict. They go around just looking for a fight. I hope the people will not be forced to take down their decorations.
This reminds me of something that happened to my mom a few Halloweens ago. She loves decorating the front yard for Halloween. That year, she put a scarecrow in a tree and about six ghosts holding hands circling around the tree to make it look like they had scared the scarecrow up the tree. On Halloween night my parents were at our town's Halloween parade and heard a woman next to her talking about how she was affended by the decorations on our street. The woman then proceeds to describe the decorations at my mom's house, but she informs the people around her that the decorations are of the KKK chasing a black man up a tree! My mom was shocked and considered taking the decorations down, but everyone she talked to told her to keep them up because any person with half a brain could tell that they were ghosts and a scarecrow!
I'll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween. -Charles Swartz

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:12 pm

AutumnGypsy7 wrote:a woman next to her talking about how she was affended by the decorations on our street.
Some people positively thrive on being offended! I'm glad your mother did not take down the ring of ghosts.

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Re:

Post by Rising Dead Man » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

AutumnGypsy7 wrote:Some people thrive on conflict. They go around just looking for a fight. I hope the people will not be forced to take down their decorations.
This reminds me of something that happened to my mom a few Halloweens ago. She loves decorating the front yard for Halloween. That year, she put a scarecrow in a tree and about six ghosts holding hands circling around the tree to make it look like they had scared the scarecrow up the tree. On Halloween night my parents were at our town's Halloween parade and heard a woman next to her talking about how she was affended by the decorations on our street. The woman then proceeds to describe the decorations at my mom's house, but she informs the people around her that the decorations are of the KKK chasing a black man up a tree! My mom was shocked and considered taking the decorations down, but everyone she talked to told her to keep them up because any person with half a brain could tell that they were ghosts and a scarecrow!
That is the most STUPID thing I ever read on here!
One Eye'd Jack wrote:There was this woman interviewed on one of my radio programs who was one of these very people you're talking about, MammaHooch; one of these hifalutin, bible-thumpin', anti-almost everything types who preached VERY strongly against Harry Potter!

She admitted that while she was doing all of this, she'd never actually READ any of the Harry Potter books.
She was eventually smart enough to at least want to know more about what it was she was so against so, she read one.

..... And another.... and then another, untill she'd read all to date and NOW she goes around the country doing seminars FOOOOOOORRRR Harry Potter and preaches against the bigotry of thoses types of people we're talking about, right here!

It was a great show and I wish I could remember her name or what show I heard her on. But I know all of you would've loved it.... especially you, MammaHooch!
You see? One of the big problems in the world is that people assume things. They never read what they are about. They just know it is about wizards and they assume Harry Potter is about witch craft. They never read it. I can not stand it when people assume things. It is so stupid and it really annoys me! :x
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

HalloweenMelanie
Master Reaper

Re: Mad as hell and don't want to take it anymore!

Post by HalloweenMelanie » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:46 pm

I honestly don't care whether they "ban" Halloween in the schools or the like...I will still be getting my kids excited for the season and decorating like a madwoman, and if the terrible day comes that trick-or-treating is outlawed, I will have a HUGE party in my home with a candy scavenger hunt and tons of decorations and I will invite every single child in the neighborhood. :lol:

Bea Evil
Vampire

Post by Bea Evil » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:52 am

People in history have been beheaded.....people in history have been shot....people in history have been burned at the stake....People in history have been lynched....these people were not all of one race. Nooses were never reserved exclusively for killing one race of people. And what about suicide? A very popular method... if I had a lynched dummy I would tell those morons that he killed himself. That would be cute, too - you could attach a suicide note! I'm gonna go kill someone now.....skin color's not high on my priority list..... :roll:don't get me started on prejudices, I have some Native American blood in me and they're practically extinct now :x :evil: :cry:whatever....

Hallow's Queen
Haunt Master

Post by Hallow's Queen » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:33 pm

Look people need to just shut up and deal with the holiday,,, its not even religious!!!!,,, it's sorta wierd though because my boyfriend doesn't believe in halloween or stuff like that, for example astological signs... but at least he doesnt preach to me saying that its all evil and you'll go to hell if you go trick or treating... I don't mind if you don't want your kids going trick or treating, but its their choice and not yours... its also not your choice to ruin it for millions of people around the nation!!!! >:{
H a l l o w ' s Q u e e n

Image Image

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:02 pm

The report also said that several schools had banned Halloween celebrations and parades and replaced them with Fall Festivals because Halloween was a religous holiday and might offend certain people.
Even if Halloween was still religous (no idea how to spell that word) why can't people face the fact that there are other religions in the world and live with it?
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon