The United Kingdom and Halloween

What do you like to decorate with? That bucket of blood?
callumsmith1234
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 9

The United Kingdom and Halloween

Post by callumsmith1234 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:05 pm

Hey all! My name is Callum and I'm new to the forums, but certainly not to decorating for Halloween! For the past 6 years I have been decorating my family home (Im 17 you see) in the suburbs of Glasgow for halloween and despite the lack of popularity for halloween over here I am proud to say that it has got bigger and better every year.

I have normally browsed the halloween - l forums but stumbled across this great forum and was surprised, shocked, flabbergasted to find some people on here from Britain! Its great to hear people are doing stuff for halloween in Britain and thought I would start a new post to ckeck out what is happening with people in the UK

What are you Buying and where?
What are you making?
and non Brits feel free to contribute however you can! differences between here and the US etc.

so lets see what happens with this...
----
Callum

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:33 pm

Hi Callum and welcome to the forum :D It's nice to meet another Brit; there seems to be a bit of a minority of us in the Halloween websphere, eh?

I shop all over and buy bits and pieces of Halloween goods from TK Maxx, Asda, Woolworths, Clinton Cards, 99p stores, Right Price, Tesco and of course our good friend eBay! ;) So far I've bought an entire flat's worth of goods because this is the first time I will be doing a proper Halloween party in my own flat - it's a collection I plan on expanding every year. I've bought most of Asda's collection and anything that I could get my hands on from TK Maxx - it goes quickly so you have to buy it when you see it!

There is a thread here showing the things we're all buying for Halloween:

http://www.halloween.com/bb/viewtopic.p ... &start=330

and there are several of us from the UK on there :)

I make my own costumes (I usually have to make a few - one for each event!) and I have been making some cross-stitch pictures, some spooky ingredient jars/bottles for my Witch Kitchen, invitations and little models out of Fimo clay.

How about you, Callum? :)

kallie0509

Post by kallie0509 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:27 pm

hi callum, it's nice to see that not just us americans are obssessed with halloween. i thought that halloween actually originated with the harvest festival samhain which originated with the pagans in the british isles, it seems that more people from the UK would celebrate, but i don't know. it's nice to meet you and remember to post some pic of your supplies!

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:27 pm

Hi Callum! Welcome!
Glasgow, eh? I'm a huge Eddi Reader fan. Any comments?

I also have a lot Scot in me. My great Grandfather was from Scotland. He wore a kilt til the day he died, he did.

Halloween_Girl
Haunt Master

Post by Halloween_Girl » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:19 am

Welcomz to you! Hope you have a wicked good time!
Beware Beware your in for a scare
The chair is rocking but nobodies there
The owls are mocking the Ghost are stocking
Beware Beware your in for a scare!

I B Howlin' Wolfman
Halloween Master

Post by I B Howlin' Wolfman » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:05 pm

Gee! I hope the Britts can learn a lot from us Rebels!
:wink:
And I wish that Halloween catches on over the big pond.
-26 Days }'-{1}
My website Link ^

Britishwitch
Master Reaper

Post by Britishwitch » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:59 pm

Hi Callum and Welcome

Yes we are few....but we are trying! Between us we may be able to turn things aroundthis side of the pond!

I hope you are enjoying the forum :D

I have been here a little while now and have made some wonderful friends :D :D :D

Have a dig around the threads...I think Magickbean pointed you in the right direction for pictures.

WE LOVE PICTURES!!!!!!!

The more the better.

Look forward to talking to you again! :D

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:19 pm

Hi Callum, and welcome. My grandmother was born in Edinburgh, and came to this country in the early 1900's.

The UK contingent here may be small, but they are mighty!!! :lol:

Hope you have a great time and get lots of good ideas. Post again soon.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

callumsmith1234
Ghost

thanks!

Post by callumsmith1234 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:03 pm

Thanks for the nice welcome guys! Great to be on the forum.

I have posted some pics on the "New stuff" Thread as requested.

and One Eyed Jack - Its fair to say there are more Eddi Reader fans in the US than in Scotland! haha good to hear that so many of you have scottish roots.

Only a few weeks to go Guys!
----
Callum

finlee
Zombie

Post by finlee » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:13 am

hey callum
We live in East Yorkshire and we've been doing halloween for about 6 years now. One woman came 30 miles last year so her kids could come to our haunting and kids at my daughters school bug her from about the middle of september to find out what we're doing this time so we must be doing something right.

One Eye'd Jack

Re: thanks!

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:03 pm

callumsmith1234 wrote:...and One Eyed Jack - Its fair to say there are more Eddi Reader fans in the US than in Scotland!
Ouch! However, that could just mean that the U.S. is bigger so, by default there are more fans..... right? :lol: