What made you sad today?

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
NeverMore
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: What made you sad today?

Post by NeverMore » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:42 pm

Dang! You guys beat me. First thing I thought was how old could Witchy be if she know Phyllis Diller when she was a kid.

I'm sad because there's probably not going to be a Top Gun sequel now.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:25 am

NeverMore wrote:I'm sad because there's probably not going to be a Top Gun sequel now.

^ this!
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by witchy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:53 pm

NeverMore wrote:
Dang! You guys beat me. First thing I thought was how old could Witchy be if she know Phyllis Diller when she was a kid.

I'm a little over a, naw.... woman never tell their age, but I do look pretty good for an old Witch. Ha ha ha!!

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:15 pm

I was supposed to have a day off from work tomorrow but that's cancelled and I have to work for five days after that.
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:09 pm

Armstrong

Edit: The moon one, not the bike one.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:23 pm

This didn't actualy happen today, but I was saddened at the death of Neil Armstrong, and I was further saddened that the college where I work isn't having any kind of a memorial for him. That attitude seems to be prevelent in all the public schools. My Catholic grammer school does something every year to honor the heros of the American Space Program, but the public schools are too much into "political correctness" to even bother. I mentioned it to one of our event planners, and her attitude was that the whole space exploration thing was a huge waist of money, and should be dis banned all together.

That was very sad for me, and it also made me a little angry. I realize we all have different opinions, but to fail to see huge accomplishments made by NASA and by people like Neil Armstrong and to recognize those accomplishments is truely IMHO is NOT what an educational institution should be about.

Mike

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:07 pm

She better not use a computer or have satellite. Most of the technological advances today are a direct result of the space program. Neil Armstrong was truly a hero as were the other guys on that first mission. Those guys honestly did not expect to come home. Once the ship landed on the moon, they could only fire the rockets once. If it didn't fire, or didn't have enough boost to get them back into space they were stuck. In fact Nixon, had an address ready for that outcome.

Armstrong was not one to boast either. He did his job and that was that.

http://www.space.com/7011-president-nix ... aster.html
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:28 pm

Excelent poing, BoogyMan. Satelite radio and tv, the Intenet, computers, cell phones and every technology we take for granted today is here because of the space program. Too bad I didn't think of that when I was conversing with that bafoon who wrote the entire space program off as a waist of money.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:53 am

I am happy to report that the public high school where my husband teaches did have a large bulletin board devoted to Neil Armstrong the week that he died. One of the history teachers put it up.

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:11 pm

It's Monday, that always is a little sad for me, everyone goes back to school and work. :(

That is sad about Neil Armstrong, but nice that someone at Murf's husband school put up a bulletin board devoted to Neil Armstrong.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:46 am

Murf, that is very refreshing and great to hear about your Husband's high school. It was people like Neil Armstrong and Alan Shepheard who made cell phones, satlite communication, home computers and other digital technologies possible. I think we tax payers got a lot more then our money's worth from the space program.

Now at this moment, I an deeply saddened about what may happen to the Harvest Moon drive in m ovie theatre if they don't rais enough money to upgrade to digotal projection. Unlike most people, I tend to be a little 'old school' about some things, and I really love going to drive in movies, and enjoying the open air freedom they offer. Most if not all drive-in movies are 'mom & pop' business, and I don't mean any offence to people wh o work at major corporate chane movie houses, but I would prefer to do business at a movie theatre owned and oparated by a 'working stiff,' then give the money to some corporate C E O and pay double the price for the "privilage." I have the same attitude towards restaurnts and other business. More often then not, the food offered at the local Greek Restaurant, Italian Pizzeria or 'mom & pop" truck stop (Hey, I'm a poet and I didn't even know it.....narf narf) is FAR BETTER then the mediocrity offered at chain restaurants like McDonalds, Hardees or Wendees. That's not to say that I don't eat at those places, or attend movies at the chane cinaplexes, but when there's a choice, I prefer the quality that I have constantly gotten from the business owned by the 'working stiff.' Seenig Tim Burton's "Dark Shadows" at the Harvest Moon last may was a lot more fun then if I had paied 12 bucks at the Morris Cinema. That film had a great sound track. I would crank up the stereo in my car every time a song played, the people around me would dance, and even the theatre employees got into the act. I chowed down on a delicious grilled cheese burger and after my stomach settled I went during the Intermisison and had myself an Elephants Ear with Vinalla Pudding. I couldn't finish it, but it was quite tastey. We all roared laughing when Barnabass Collins (Johnny Depp) brushed his fangs, and the whole evening was a real outing. It was dinner AND a movie in one location. It was 6 dollars for my movie ticket plus what I spend on food, which was also cheaper then what it would cost at a McDonalds. The kids had tons of fun playing Frizby and other games. In simple terms, it was a REAL outing, not just a sit down in a folding seat, watch the movie after paying 8 to 12 bucks for the ticket, and 13 or 14 dollars for a small buttered pop corn and a medium soft drink at the Cineplexes. And yes, some times I do enjoy the cineplexes, especialy during the dead of Winter, but the drive in is just more fun. I've had simular experience at the Hill Top drive in in Joliet. It, too, was a 'mom & pop" working class owned business who offered the best quality in motion picture entertainment and food. The guy who ran the concession stand, was one of the best chefs I've ever known. His steamed Chicago Style Hot Dogs were the best I ever ate, before or since. They also served Pizza, grilled hamburgers and chese burgers, Italian Beef and grilled Italian Sausage sanwiches, in addition to the traditional movie fare of pop corn, candy and soda pop. The pop corn was freshly made, and topped with real dairy butter, too. I took my gf to many a date to the Hill Top. That old delapidated screen is where we listened to Kermit the Frog sing "IT's not Easy Being Green," as her younger sister and my two nieces and nephew were transfixed to that screen. I saw the original "Halloween" the original "The Omen," "Don't Answer the Phone," and a whole hose of other scary horror movies, as well as classics like "Clash of the Titens." I almost burst out crying when the Hill Top announced that they were closing for good. The last movie I saw there was "The Tomb Raider," starring Angelina Joleene. Of course by then the concession stand guy passed away, and in order to save expenses, the owner brought in one of those "corporate" food companies who didn't even hold a candle to what use to be served there, but the movie going experience was still 2nd to n one.

I posted some photos of the old Hill Top drive in, along with some of my favorite memories.

Anyway, I ranted on too long, and I hope I didn't bore the teeth out of anyone. But talking about pleasant memories lime the pumpkins on 111th and Central Park, and drive in movies, I tend to get carried away like I did just now. Please accept my apology and if you actualy read through this entire post, thanks for your patience.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:22 am

No shuttle flyby for California's second largest city. I would have liked to see that.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:00 pm

it did several fly-by's around here (Houston), we're all still pissed off we didnt get one of them
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:04 pm

I would love to have whitnnesed a space shuttle take off in person.

Mike

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:59 pm

Pumpkin_Man wrote: I would love to have whitnnesed a space shuttle take off in person.

Mike
me too, I've seen three landing and passed on seeing several more, but I never seen it take off, watching the shuttle and 747 taking off was more interesting then watching the shuttle land