Remember 1980

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
WitchyMama
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Remember 1980

Post by WitchyMama » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:57 am

I am going to post this in my blog with a link back here. This was just WONDERFUL!

I might have to print it up for my kids too lol!

sueluvshalloween
Haunt Master

Post by sueluvshalloween » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:26 am

NeverMore wrote:.
Just got this email. Found it mighty amusing. Enjoy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

THE SPOILED UNDER-30 CROWD!!!

If you are 30 or older you will think this is hilarious!!!!

When I was a kid, adults used to bore me to tears with their tedious diatribes
about how hard things were. When they were growing up; what with walking
Twenty-five miles to school every morning..... Uphill... barefoot... BOTH ways
Yadda, yadda, yadda.
Oh, and you left out that you had to walk 25 miles to school every morning, uphill, barefoot, both ways ... IN THREE FEET OF SNOW! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's see -- 1980. I graduated high school that year. But, yeah, kids today are so privileged. We didn't have home computers, Facebook, the Internet, and cable TV with a choice of 600 or more channels. We didn't have cell phones. When I was a kid, we actually played outside all day. Kids today act as if they're in the process of losing a limb if they can't have access to the computer. They ought to all be transported back 90 years ago, when my grandfather was a young boy. He grew up in a large family -- nine kids. At age six, one of his chores (I'm not sure how many he had) was not something easy like take out a bag of trash or keep his room tidy -- it was to clean the outhouse!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Well, it's true that we didn't have CD players, cell phones, computers and the like back in 1980, but I think in many ways I actualy had more then the kids of today have. As for cell phones, I STILL don't have one, STILL don't have one, and STILL refuse to get one.

By the way, suel, I graduated hs in 1979, just one year ahead of you.

Mike

writerpatrick
Master Reaper

Post by writerpatrick » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:24 pm

A lot of kids don't even walk to school anymore. Our elementary school was three-quarters of a mile away and we usually came home for lunch. So we got in about two miles a day of walking. I still walk the distance when going to mass (the church is right beside the old school) and usually think nothing of it.

And while school probably isn't any more dangerous today than it was then, at least kids were given the life skills to deal with the violence. You fought back!

We did have the advantage of penny candy (although maybe more so in the 70s), let alone actually being able to buy something for a penny. Now kids often have to spend at least a dollar to get something. And when was the last time you saw a gumball (or similar) machine that didn't require at least a quarter--if you can actually find one in a store.

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:27 pm

I still don't have call waiting or caller ID. Or a cell phone. A landline and an answering machine is all I need.

Now you KNOW I'm just chompin' at the bit to jump into all that religious stuff..... You KNOW my fingers are SCREAMING to start hammering at my keyboard....!!

Must....resist.....temptation.......!

Must.....not......debate.......religion.......!!!

Must.......remember.......the eighties....!

Hey...Remember the Eighties?! Remember Masters of the Universe?! Remember ALF?!? Remember the A-Team?!? Remember Guns n Roses?!?! Remember the Walkman?!?

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:35 pm

I still watch ALF on Sunday on WGN :)
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:42 pm

Oh ALF. Will you ever get your Bacon, Lucky, and Tomato sandwich??

sueluvshalloween
Haunt Master

Post by sueluvshalloween » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:25 am

Isn't it hard to believe that little kids these days have cell phones?! Elementary schools have rules issued regarding phones -- that kids can have them at school, but they have to be turned off. A couple of years ago, I was volunteering at my son's elementary school. I was helping out the art teacher while a second-grade class was in session. All of a sudden, this little boy's cell phone started ringing! This was a child who was seven or eight years old. The teacher made him hand over the phone. After she reminded him of the school's cell phone rules, he said that his mom likes to call him every so often. What the heck?! If the mom has this need to keep in touch with her son throughout the school day, then she might as well just homeschool him. Why does a child that young need a cell phone? They're always going to be supervised -- it's not like they're in high school and they're out with no adult supervision. And they have no important business that they need to be in contact with anyone. What's next -- giving cell phones as baby gifts? I didn't get a cell phone until five years ago, when my husband was working part-time in Russia and I was the only adult here for my kids. And that wasn't even my phone -- it actually one that my husband let me borrow when he was gone because he didn't need it in Russia. I now have my own, but it's a Trac Phone -- nothing fancy. I just have it so my kids can get a hold of me if they need to, not for social reasons.

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:57 am

When i was 6 years old i was ALF for halloween lol
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:00 pm

My 12yr asked for a cell phone, he's in Jr high and walks home from school and sometimes we have to run errands and dont get home when he does, so it would be nice if he had one but we cant afford the monthly bill........I cant understand why a 8yr old needs one, thats just dumb. I dont have one. Elementary school kids dont need one....
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:20 pm

Pre-paid cellphone. Tell him if he uses up the minutes on unessential calls he pays to
recharge it using his allowance.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:11 pm

that's what i'd do nevermore... teach them to conserve until neccassary

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:01 pm

My siblings have been nagging me to get a cell phone for a couple of years now, and I just don't want it. The way I figure it is that there sre some situation that I am ENTITLED to not have to answer a telephone. When I'm in my car, or on my motorcycle, or at Mass or the movies, those times are for ME, not for some caller.

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:50 pm

i agree mike... i went with out a cell for nearly 8 months out of this past year and to tell you the truth... it was a very welcomed vacation really. no ringing.. no texts.. no one to say come here go there yada yada yada... if you don't have one... i wouldn't get one... persoanlly

sueluvshalloween
Haunt Master

Post by sueluvshalloween » Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:09 pm

Spookymufu wrote:My 12yr asked for a cell phone, he's in Jr high and walks home from school and sometimes we have to run errands and dont get home when he does, so it would be nice if he had one but we cant afford the monthly bill........I cant understand why a 8yr old needs one, thats just dumb. I dont have one. Elementary school kids dont need one....
I can even see kids at 12 having a cell phone, as with your son -- they're independent and not always with an adult. That's much more justifiable than an eight-year-old having one.