Your job?

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: Your job?

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:31 pm

I don't know what kind of a job I am going to search for to supplement my pension after I retire, and as much as I love my camera, I think I would like to try out something simple and doesn't require me to answer telephones.

Mike

Kolchak
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Kolchak » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:15 pm

My wife said when I retire I should get a job being a total and complete jerk. She says nobody does that better than me. Well, practice makes perfect!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:44 pm

I've been told that, too, Kolchak. Back in my teenage years, when I wanted to find a part time job that I could make a little money for a car of my own, they were totally against it and I acted out a little, so that is what my parents suggested I do in a sarcastic way.

However, I'm still debating whether or not I am going to get another job. I would like to get the needed credits in the social security system so I can go on medicare when I'm 65, but I would have to work full time for 10 years in order to do that. That's why I am not as particular about it as I was before. Even McDonalds or Burger King will get me those credits, and with the minimum wage going up to 10.10 per hour, it would easily put another 1000 bucks in my pocket. The best part is all I would have to do, if I get my way, is fry the burgers and put them on the buns. No answering phones, and no seriously complicated issues to deal with and no 38 or 40 mile commute to work every day of the week, and that's each way. I can still do photography during my time off, and go on an occasional 'haunted road trip,' too.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Boogeyman » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:54 pm

If you want to work at Mcdonalds or Walmart, you should move to North Dakota. Due to the oil boom there, they are paying $14/hr at those businesses.

"Even those not in the oil businesses are making more money. The population increase means more demand so the local McDonald's and Walmart are hiring workers starting at $14 an hour, and many times they add a healthy signing bonus just for agreeing to work there."

https://www.cbn.com/cbnnews/us/2014/Jan ... Gold-Rush/
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:19 pm

Thanks for the tip, Boogyman. I'll definitely take that under advisement.

Mike

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Pumpkin_Man wrote: I've been told that, too, Kolchak. Back in my teenage years, when I wanted to find a part time job that I could make a little money for a car of my own, they were totally against it and I acted out a little, so that is what my parents suggested I do in a sarcastic way.

However, I'm still debating whether or not I am going to get another job. I would like to get the needed credits in the social security system so I can go on medicare when I'm 65, but I would have to work full time for 10 years in order to do that. That's why I am not as particular about it as I was before. Even McDonalds or Burger King will get me those credits, and with the minimum wage going up to 10.10 per hour, it would easily put another 1000 bucks in my pocket. The best part is all I would have to do, if I get my way, is fry the burgers and put them on the buns. No answering phones, and no seriously complicated issues to deal with and no 38 or 40 mile commute to work every day of the week, and that's each way. I can still do photography during my time off, and go on an occasional 'haunted road trip,' too.
Mcdonalds is no easy job by any means. You get yelled at if you mess up an order, you have to move really fast and stand on your feet for hours at a time. You're expected to grill burgers, and fry things like the chicken nuggets and sandwich meats and such at the same time, or you have to work the assembly line. But if you think you can handle running around on your feet all day in a hot sticky kitchen, more power to you, but I'd rather be in a nice comfy air conditioned office doing paperwork and filing reports on the computer.
Looking back on it, while I was afraid of being a cashier at the time, I think I'd rather deal with that than what I did when I worked there. Of course, I was 18 back then and it was my first job. I worked for a few months and quit, but I was kind of an immature kid back then and still going to college. I thought back then I'd end up with a better job. Oh how wrong I was.
Not that dealing with customers is easy by any means.
It all depends on what you want to put up with I guess.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:08 pm

Every job is going to have it's good points and it's bad points. I'm tired of the phone ringing off the hook. You do a lot of busy work in fast food, but it's not complicated. Don't get me wrong. I love taking photos, and I love my job. In many ways I am sorry I'm leaving, but practicality dictates that I retire now, or work 4 more years before my pension benefit will be back up to where it is now.

I remember being in college, too. I worked a lot of part time minimum wage jobs. The 3 worst where that brick yard where I worked, Sears and Martial Fields. Lousy pay, crazy hours, but only part time, grumpy customers, and my paychecks more often then mot, couldn't even fill up the gas tank. When I worked at Martial Fields, the so called store with the Christmas spirit, I worked a temp job on the Christmas court selling ornaments, fake Christmas trees and the like. On my very last day of work, I took home 32 dollars. Merry Christmas to me. IT's not like I didn't make money for that store. On quite the contrary, I sold about 15 thousand dollars worth of artificial flocked Christmas trees, and that was in that same pay period that I only got 32 dollars. To boot, they only paid twice a month. The 1st and the 15th.

Mike

ilovemichaelmyers
Halloween Master

Post by ilovemichaelmyers » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:35 pm

I'm currently not working at the moment, I got laid off in February. I was working at a title loan company. I'm actually glad I'm not working there anymore because it was high stress, not very good pay for managers and I had to put cars out for repo which I didn't really care for. I'm going to try my hand at my own business again. I shut down my housekeeping business because of the crazy hours I was working. It's kind of difficult to find something I enjoy being that I live in a very rural area. I was thinking of maybe selling stuff online since a commute would put me at 1.5 hours to town one way. I'm enjoying my time at home for the time being, I needed the break!
The Night HE Came Home

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:02 pm

Believe it or not, that sounds great.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:19 pm

I recently went back to my old job because I needed an income. So I'm back to being a cashier.
However; I am planning on contacting a lady about selling some of my paintings and I am a full time student.

So my current employment status is busy as a bee! That's one reason I haven't been as active lately. ^^;
Nocturnal Purr-Fection